European Beech and Karelian Birch Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Fresh off the press-delivered today! This was a local commission I've been working on for a few months now. This one was a bit of a challenge and included a bunch of 1st's for me.

The legs and aprons are all solid European Steamed Beech (oh I love this stuff by the way) The doors and side's are Karelian Birch Veneer laminated to Baltic Birch. The sides and the rear are flush with the legs and the front doors are Karelian Birch Veneer laminated to Baltic Birch with solid wood edging and are also flush. To keep the look clutter free we used spring loaded push catches so you just push on the door and it pops open. They also didn't want to see any hinges so I used the soss 204's (1st time for these and there is no room for error! - however, pretty straight forward to install) The center shelf is trapped by the legs so to prevent it from pushing the case apart it is shop sawn 1/8" Euro Beech Veneer glued to Baltic Birch with a wood surround. The top is Solid Euro Beech edge with Karelian Birch inset glued to Baltic Birch on top and Euro Beech Veneer on Bottom. The top was under beveled and there is also a small bevel on the top edges and then I used a 1/16" strip of Black Veneer to set the Birch off.

Here's the cabinet:

Eisenberg_Cabinet_031_Small_.jpg

Here's a close up of the top:
Eisenberg_Cabinet_005_Small_.jpg

And a close up of the edges:
Eisenberg_Cabinet_024_Small_.jpg

Here's a good shot of the veneer (this stuff pops!)
Eisenberg_Cabinet_037_Small_.jpg

and finally the soss hinges
Eisenberg_Cabinet_036_Small_.jpg

enjoy and thanks for looking!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's an awesome piece that really shines. Nicely done.

Soss: You're right, there is no room for error. But they are nifty hinges for that look. Did you use their router template guide for installation or just accurately wing it?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Excellent work! (took you long enough :wink_smil)

It would be interesting to see this piece in situ.
Does the rest of their furniture match?
Do you know how it will be used?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Jeff,

I did use the soss router template but I had to modify it for my use. It's a nifty little template I must say.

Pete,

Believe it or not they actually have a lot of modern type Norwegian furniture that uses the Euro Beech so it's a pretty good match for their current furniture. Your right it did take me a long time, this one was pretty labor intensive with all the flush veneer work, however I learned alot to help me with the next "small" project :wink_smil

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike, you have a talent I can only dream of. Absolutely beautiful work. :notworthy:

Are you ready to give up your day job yet? :)

bwat

New User
Bill
The pics don't do justice to the beauty of this veneer or the craftsmanship. Very nice piece. Was this one unfinished for customer to complete?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Bill-

Nope this one is finished. One of the criteria from the clients was that we keep it as light as possible so this one is finished with Target Coatings EM6000 water based lacquer which hardly imparts any color. So what you see is the color it turned out.

I actually sprayed the last coat last week outside (screened back porch) while it was raining, and couldn't believe I didn't have any problems with humidity. In fact this finish was so nice off the gun that I didn't have to do anything to finish the finish. It went to the customers just a few days after drying fully.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Bill-

Nope this one is finished. One of the criteria from the clients was that we keep it as light as possible so this one is finished with Target Coatings EM6000 water based lacquer which hardly imparts any color. So what you see is the color it turned out.

I actually sprayed the last coat last week outside (screened back porch) while it was raining, and couldn't believe I didn't have any problems with humidity. In fact this finish was so nice off the gun that I didn't have to do anything to finish the finish. It went to the customers just a few days after drying fully.

Curious again. Can you tell us more about water borne lacquer? I have an Earlex 5000 hvlp that might work with a 1.4 mm tip. :confused:
I hate polyurethane for a lot of reasons so I've been a big fan of Waterlox or shellac but sometimes a crystal clear finish on light wood is preferable.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Jeff,

I'm no expert on finishing but here's what I'm using. I have a Fuji Q4 (4 stage turbine HVLP) with a 1mm tip (that's what I spray all my finishes with, unless I'm spraying paint then I move to the 1.4mm) I've sprayed alot of different finishes and here's what I like about water born laquers (specifically Target Coatings)

--The Emtech 6000 is truly colorless with my experience and it seems to not be to sensitive to temperature or humidity. Also it sprays at the right viscosity right from the can, just pour from the can into the gun with a filter. Another benefit is hardly any smell and easy cleanup

I like the waterbased lacquers, poly's, and pre-cat lacquers for anything with a SATIN finish. What I have found with the water based stuff is that as you build coats with a semi-gloss or gloss the finish starts to look a little plastic.

also-the water based lacquers will not give you that "in the wood" look. If you want that type of richness you'll have to start with shellac or even oil followed by shellac as a barrier coat then use the water based product as a top coating.

Hope this helps a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS