Eurkazone EZ Smart Guide System Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looking for opinions from anyone who has used the Eurkazone EZ Smart Guide System (http://www.eurekazone.com/).

It looks like a great gadget at an okay price, but is it really any good? I'd like to hear your thoughts -- as well as any alternatives available.

I'm mainly looking for a tool that will allow me to accuratly cut sheet goods without the tearout I'm getting now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeremy,
No experience w/EZ Smart but do have the Festool 55 saw, guides and table. You are welcome to come by a check it out after I get back home. Let me know.

Mark... in Zurich for a few days

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jeremy, I don't have one but it looks like a handy type jig. The only issue I see with it is that it looks like there are several attachments that you can get for it that would start to add the $$$ up pretty quickly. If you are just using it for cutting panels you might want to look at the system Festool has also. I believe there are 3 or 4 members here that have the Festool system and hopefully one of them can offer some advice on it.

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Jeremy, I have both the ez-smart and the festool. Without a doubt, the festool is superior. In fact, I would not buy from ez-smart again. I'm in the middle of something right now, but I'll write a more detailed review later.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
SteveColes said:
Without a doubt, the festool is superior. In fact, I would not buy from ez-smart again.

That's what I needed to hear. I'm curious as to what problems you have had with the EZ Smart system, and what makes the Festool superior.

Looks like I'll be saving a couple more bucks for the big money tool ... ol' fezzy. :-(

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Tarhead said:
Jeremy,
You are welcome to come by a check it out after I get back home.

Might have to take you up on this ... let me know when you are back in town and maybe I can stop by on the weekend. :eusa_danc

Burt

New User
Burt
Jeremy,

I have most of the EZ Smart System and find that it many ways it offers more than Festool. I do woodworking full time and live and work in Sumter, SC. If you would like to see the equipment up close and personal, we can set up a time for you to stop and take a look. I am about 100 miles from Charlottte.

Burt

M

McRabbet

Burt -- you need to open a new thread in the "Who We Are" forum and introduce yourself to the members of the website. Thanks for the post here, but no one will know you're a new member!

Rob

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Burt said:
I have most of the EZ Smart System and find that it many ways it offers more than Festool.

Now we've got a real discussion ... two sides of the fence! :eusa_danc

In what ways do you find the EZ Smart System offering more than the Festool?

The price of the EZ Smart System is much better than anything by Festool (though both cost too much :BangHead:). I'd like to know what else makes one better than the other (some hard facts/opinions)

Burt

New User
Burt
Jeremy,
Volumes have been written on this subject so I’ll hit a few highlights that make the system appeal to me.
First the EZ Smart system is universal. Use any circular saw or router you would like. I currently have 7 saws equipped with EZ Bases. First is a Festool. It’s plunge action gives some unique capabilities but at the same times creates some difficulties. Second, 3 makita’s - a 61/2 Cordless, A siding saw with a built in dust catcher and one of the 5007F Makita’s. A Porter cable for general use - Primarily on the Festool MFT. The final pair are a Bosch 8 1/4 and a Skil 10" for straight line ripping heavy materials.
EZ has the repeaters that offer repeatability - serves the same function as a fence on a table saw - set the repeaters and cut as many pieces as you wish without measuring.
The EZ Cabinet maker is a combination of the EZ Square and a repeater. These are used for cutting large panels and almost anything else you can think of. When using the cabinetmaker, you normally crosscut the sheet first and then do rip cuts. Just lay the sheet on the smart table and start cutting. You only move that big panel once. It is a much easier way to work.
The EZ Smart was designed as a replacement for the table saw. The Festool system was designed to supplement the table saw. The EZ Smart system when equipped with either the EZ Smart clamping system or the guide control units, can rip cut a piece as small as 1/4".
The rails are the heart of the system. The EZ rails are much stronger, have a dovetail self aligning joining system so you can join shorter rails and not have transport longer rails. Also you can cut on both sides of the EZ rail. Festool is single sided.
Anti chip protection on the EZ Smart is very good. Today I was cutting formica face up with a Freud Diablo 7 1/4" blade. There was no chipping.
What do the Festool owners think of some of the EZ features? Several are asking EZ Smart to make a version of the repeaters, Smart routing kit, and cabinet maker for the Festool rails. You can read their posts on the EZ Smart Forum (a manufacturers forum on Sawmill Creek.).
And I guess to be honest the most meaningful thing to me is to be able to pickup the phone and talk with Dino, inventer of the EZ Smart system. I can tell him a problem I’m having or relay an idea to him for a better tool. He has incorporated the ideas of many of his customers into his tools. I think it might be rather difficult to get a chance to talk directly with the chief designer at the festool factory in Germany.
I hope this information helps. I’ll try to answer any questions you may have. If I don’t know the answers, I’ll find someone who does.
Burt

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, I did it. I purchased the Eurkazone EZ Smart Guide System (http://www.eurekazone.com/) & received it yesterday. Hopefully I'll figure out how to use it this weekend and make some cuts. I'll keep you posted with my results!

Last edited:

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I don't know anything about this ez smart thing, but it looks a lot like the one I MADE out of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood (one a 4' length, a second an 8' ft length) with a 1/4" plywood strip for the guide. Once made, make a cut with your saw and that is exactly where your cuts will be. Simple.
Overall I have found that I can MAKE my jigs that are just as effective as the expensive ones you buy.
Jim in Mayberry

Burt

New User
Burt
Like you I also make a lot of jigs and I've even made what you described. Comparing one of those to the EZ Smart is kind of like comparing a pair of roller skates to a Rolls Royce. I don't mean to be a wise guy. Do me a favor when you get a chance and visit www.Eurekazone.com. Take a look at the photo gallery. While in the regular photo gallery, also take a look at Dino's gallery. There is a lot more to the EZ than you realize.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I too have the same homemade jig referenced for my router and circular saw, but I'm a bit of a gadget-guy too so when I saw this I "had" to have it. I haven't used the EZSmart system yet, but when I do I'll make sure to put my two cents out here for the world to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS