eucalyptus slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn

New User
shawn
These are some slabs I brought with me from Tucson. The first and third are shortly after I milled them in Tucson. The middle was taken while running it through a planer here in New Bern.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150819_135826.jpg
    20150819_135826.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 459
  • 20170630_132009.jpg
    20170630_132009.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 20150819_135206.jpg
    20150819_135206.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 449

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Interesting grain pattern Shawn, first I've ever seen of eucalyptus lumber. I'd enjoy seeing more photos of it!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I bring back Eucalyptus when we go to Hawaii. I bring an extra duffle for wood and it's top on my list next to Monkeypod and Koa

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Is this the same as the Lyptus that was available a few years ago? Pretty wood, very hard no knots but full of silica so sharpening was a constant effort.

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is this the same as the Lyptus that was available a few years ago? Pretty wood, very hard no knots but full of silica so sharpening was a constant effort.

Roy G

No, Lyptus is a hybrid that was grown in Brazil by Weyerhauser. It is not EUCAlyptus. Lyptus used to be sold by the Hardwood Store but it's no longer on their menu.

shawn

New User
shawn

Roy G

I found the log on a Tucson golf course. They were clearing a lot for extra parking. It must have been cut quite some time ago, when I took the center cut slab to a local woodcraft store, the moisture meter read 6%.

KHageman

New User
Ken
Advantage lumber sells Eucalyptus lumber. I think they have it at their North Carolina store in Grover. I know they have it in Florida. That is where they harvest it. You might want to check out viable Lumber in Florida (if they are still in business). Another source in Florida is Ye Old General Store. They have a lot of different wood. I believe all three stores kill their wood from urban sources. Not positive, but I believe Eucalyptus is an invasive spieces in Florida.

shawn

New User
shawn
Eucalyptus was brought over from Australia in the late 1800's early 1900's for the furniture industry, only to find out the second growth timber was very unstable. Plantations were located in southern California.

shawn

New User
shawn
Eucalyptus is rather prevalent in the southwest. It was planted for wind breaks on agricultural land and landscaping because it's a very fast grower. It's also one of the largest trees in the southwest. I had 4 or 5 on my property.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Eucalyptus is rather prevalent in the southwest. It was planted for wind breaks on agricultural land and landscaping because it's a very fast grower. It's also one of the largest trees in the southwest. I had 4 or 5 on my property.

And my question still stands.

Curious, how did you know that it was Eucalyptus that you scavenged in Tucson?

No leaves, but maybe the bark is characteristic if you've been around living Eucalyptus trees like you had in your yard. :dontknow:

shawn

New User
shawn
The size alone led me to believe it was euc. The bark is a definite indicator as it is very shaggy. This log had no bark but the exposed surface is a pretty good indicator as well.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you talking about the same Eucalyptus tree from which Koala bears eat the leaves as their only food source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS