Estatibles on 70 in Durham - Stanley Bailey No 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thav

New User
Tony
$30. Looks like it's in much better shape than the ones I'm seeing on ebay for $10-$20. Bevel was nicely polished. I probably didn't get all the photos I should have, but here's what I got. I think I can make out the patent number to be 6912, but that seems awfully short.There were also two other wooden planes there that I didn't get a good look at. Looks like they were adjusted with wedges. Label said "Coffin wood". He offered me the lot of 3 for $50.

I think it's too early in my collection for something I know nothing about. Hopefully someone is interested.
IMG_20140823_103915299.jpg

IMG_20140823_103853796.jpg

IMG_20140823_103936964.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bailey's are usually very good planes no matter what vintage. They have a lot of iron on iron mating surfaces for the frog to body and frog to blade. They will usually clean up to be very fine planes. Hard to tell what condition this one is in from the pictures but I expect you've gotten a real bargain there.

Let us know if you need any tips on tuning it. Bailey's are usually pretty easy to tune. Lot's of us here have experience tuning and refurbishing old planes so there is a wealth of knowledge here if you have specific questions.

We don't have any tuning workshops coming up any time soon but you're close and I can possibly provide some help if you run into trouble on a weekend - except that my weekends are getting very busy with the shows coming up very soon.

Looks like a good score.

Thav

New User
Tony
Ken, I didn't end up picking it up, so it should still be there. I'm looking to get started with an iron sole instead of wood (probably a #4, a good starter, right?). This one was in very good condition I think. No rust, well taken care of. It was so tempting to get it just for the cap. My only plane has a thumbscrew cap adjustment and it's just a pain to get it re-set right every time I have the iron out.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually I thought that was an iron-sole plane - just didn't look closely enough at the pictures. I've never used any of the wooden or transitional planes except a few wooden molding planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS