Estate sale treasures

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I went to an estate sale this morning and came home with some interesting tools. The first is this Stanley #13 compass plane in good condition except for a broken frog. It's usable as is, but will be somewhat difficult to tune without the adjustment knob. I plan to keep my eye out for a replacement frog.
IMG_2644.JPG

Next up is a Stanley #194 fiber board plane. It's original purpose was to cut a 45-degree bevel on the edge of fiber board. I have no idea why you would want to do that, but apparently someone at the Stanley tool company thought that would be a seller. I don't have a use for it, but the price was right. I tried it on a piece of 1/4" MDF and it cut a nice smooth bevel even with a rusty blade.
IMG_2642.JPG

I couldn't resist this little gem. It's a Stanley #75 bullnose plane. A little TLC and it will be as good as new.
IMG_2643.JPG

I already have a Stanley #7c that was my father's. This one is the same size and from the early 1900's, but has a smooth sole. I'm looking forward to cleaning and returning it to action. The only issue is the tote has a slight crack.
IMG_2646.JPG

Finally, I came home with a tool I've been on the lookout for some time. It is a Dosch No 4 miter trimmer. The blades are still very sharp. I was able to slice a perfectly smooth, 45-degree angle on a piece of picture frame in seconds. The handle detaches for easy storage.
IMG_2645.JPG

There were a lot more interesting tools at this sale. One was a wall-mounted, hand-cranked drill press. I really had to resist getting it just for the uniqueness factor.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wish I could be so lucky at estate sales...good finds!
Thanks. It takes some planning. I generally follow the upcoming sales. If there's one I like I make sure to arrive early and get my name on the list. I was number 12 in line for this one even though I arrived 1.5 hours before it opened.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS