Epoxy source

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Hi all

I’m looking for some inexpensive sources for epoxy. I’m building a coffee style table that will have embedded in the epoxy some sea shells, etc. the size of the table and the necessary depth of the pour will make price of the epoxy significant...so I’m looking to optimize a bit. The table will be a bit out of regular traffic so Im not needing very best quality epoxy.

Thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Be careful when mixing that quantity of epoxy. Large volumes generate a lot of heat when mixing / curing. If possible do it in stages or at least have many shallow containers to mix it in.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
is there a general rule of thumb for depth of pour not to exceed, time in between multiple pours so as to not allow too much setup?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
is there a general rule of thumb for depth of pour not to exceed, time in between multiple pours so as to not allow too much setup?

I've seen a few places recommend no more than 1/8" per pour, but watching lots of youtube videos, I see people pour super thick layers. Since you are doing a clear pour, I think you would want to be conservative in your pour to avoid bubbles. Lots of thicker pours are colored which can help hide bubbles.

How Thick Can I Pour ArtResin Epoxy Resin?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Eco Poxy is a lower viscosity than most and can tolerate deeper pours without bubbles being a big problem. One thing I have learned is that coating the wood edges that will be in the epoxy with a light coat (very thin pour) makes the process easier to deal with. Bubbles can be a real pain to deal with as they can continue to come out of the wood for a long time. The thin coat usually solves that problem.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

A 1/8" increment is typical for a larger pour (here's an example from one manufacturer). They don't say much about too much setup or excessive heating of larger epoxy mixtures.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Heat and epoxy setup. Heating causes epoxy to begin thickening and the heat level accelerates with larger batches.

You
How much heat is generated in a typical batch of your epoxy? Your product information on mixing doesn't say anything about heat generation or warnings about heating.
Don C.
If you mix and apply correctly heat is not an issue. If you mix the epoxy and leave it in the bucket without applying it immediately it can get extremely hot and setup in the bucket in mins. You have approx. 5 mins to apply it after mixing, it should only take 2-3 mins to apply
You
So if I thoroughly mix 1 quart of your epoxy for a flood coat it has to be poured within 2-3 minutes?
Don C.
Typically the flood coat is done in a 1 gallon mixture and poured onto the surface and should only take 2-3 mins. when the seal coat is done in 1 qt batches that is mixed by hand for 2-3 mins you have approx. 5 min working time and should only take 2-3 mins to apply that as well.
You
I was looking at your bottle cap photos at some of the tables and bar tops so I guess they were done using multiple gallons in separate stages?
Don C.
It really depends on the size of the surface your covering.
The bottle caps were done with a seal coat to hold the caps in place then 24 hours later the flood coat was poured onto the surface.
You
That's my point and my question!
Don C.
if the flood coat requires multiple gallons its still the same stage you just mix another batch after you finish pouring the first one and repeat until your surface is covered. If you need to go thicker than 1/8" then you would need to wait 4 hours and repeat the flood coat process again.
You
Ok, that's helpful to know. Finally, how many square feet will a 1 gallon flood coat cover at roughly 1/8 inch?
Don C.
One gallon of epoxy combined for $99 is 1/2 gal. resin and 1/2 gal. hardener. It will cover approximately 16 sq.ft. at 1/8" for a flood coat and as a separate measurement it will cover approximately 48 sq.ft. for a seal coat. It will do the seal coat or the flood coat it will not do both. As you order more gallons of epoxy, the price per gallon decreases dramatically. For example, 2 gallons of epoxy is $149 ($7450 a gallon) saving you $49!
You
Ok. Thanks for your help. End chat.
Don C.
You're Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to visit us today.
We offer FREE 2day Delivery to the continental US by Fedex if your order is received by 4pm eastern time. Most orders arrive in 1-2 days (depending on what part of the country you are in). We are located in Nashville, TN. We also offer expedited shipping for an additional fee. You can purchase UltraClear Epoxy here and we can get that shipped out right away and provide you a Fedex tracking number.Epoxy Resin for Bar Tops, Tabletops, & Countertops (COMMERCIAL GRADE) *WATCH TUTORIAL VIDEOS* Click here to watch short videos showing you how easy it is to use UltraClear Epoxy. Table Top Epoxy Tutorial Videos | Bartop Epoxy
Join over 10,000 companies who rely on Olark Live Chat to chat directly with customers.
Olark Live Chat

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Thanks all for the input. A number of factors to consider here- appreciate the experience and perspectives.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS