Epoxy for crack filling

JGG

New User
John
I mixed some sawdust with five minute epoxy to fill a crack in a capsule box. The epoxy is just proud of the surface. Before I ruin the piece is it best to turn the epoxy down with a gouge or sand it smooth?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A card scraper is excellent for removing the excess epoxy and smoothing the surface.

BTW, I don't know what a capsule box is or how its made.

Last edited:

JGG

New User
John
Capsule boxes shown below, made from firewood. I ended up sanding the epoxy at 1,200 rpm and was a little to aggressive with the first pass of 100 grit paper. Still some minor scratches even after finishing down to 400 grit. The oak surrounding the fill is smooth. I won’t be so aggressive next time.

Attachments

• 6AFA8D40-600A-4FE6-A542-B10A52659EF8.jpeg
    6AFA8D40-600A-4FE6-A542-B10A52659EF8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 168
  • 2E5FAD71-B859-448C-A056-0A21B4399F1C.jpeg
    2E5FAD71-B859-448C-A056-0A21B4399F1C.jpeg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 171

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Capsule boxes shown below, made from firewood. I ended up sanding the epoxy at 1,200 rpm and was a little to aggressive with the first pass of 100 grit paper. Still some minor scratches even after finishing down to 400 grit. The oak surrounding the fill is smooth. I won’t be so aggressive next time.

I can't see where the epoxy fill is in your pictures. Can you point them out, please?

JGG

New User
John
The cracks filled with the epoxy/sawdust blended pretty well. They were not major splits, about 1/8”. My first experience with epoxy fill on a turning.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Just my 2-cents...
I stopped attempts to match fills. I could never get a good hide. I adopted the advice of Mike Pekovich (Fine Woodworking) and go with stark contrast, i.e. black. I now use West System G-Flex epoxy with a small amount (very small) of artist pigment powder (mixed thoroughly). This is somewhat flexible marine grade epoxy and it needs overnight (at least) to cure. I've also used black India ink as a colorant, but I prefer the dry powder, as it blackens without diluting the epoxy.
Again, this is just 2-cents from a hack of a turner.

Attachments

• ERF_4879_Hollow_Form_3_201123.jpg
    ERF_4879_Hollow_Form_3_201123.jpg
    14.6 MB · Views: 114

JGG

New User
John
Thanks for the idea and advice. I have a collection of fine sawdust from various woods I often mix with shellac for flat surface fixes. This as my first epoxy fix and the five minute Gorilla brand was all I had. It did not provide as much working time as I would have liked. I’ll experiment with another brand like West next time. I’ll also pick up more pigment powders as they are great for matching and contrasting. Thanks again!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS