Entry Level Wood Lathe

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I am interested in an entry level wood lathe, any suggestions or know of a decent one for sale?
Thanks

The WEN tool website has a small variable speed lathe on sale right now for like $130ish. WEN are GREAT starter tools and well worth it at minimal cost.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I have been watching some YouTube videos on making your own carbide tip tools. Anyone have any experience with this? Can one save money on the hand tools like this? Looked easy enough.
I use nothing but home made tools cheap and yes I do a lot of turning

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've got a vintage Dunlap from the 1930's with working motor that I suddenly have no use for given the recent Nova purchase. I was going to learn on it but never got around to it.

Yours if you want it. Just have to come pick it up.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I've got a vintage Dunlap from the 1930's with working motor that I suddenly have no use for given the recent Nova purchase. I was going to learn on it but never got around to it.

Thank you so much for the offer, but I recently bought a used one. Perhaps someone else here will take it. But thanks again. The people I have meet through this forum have been the most generous and helpful in everything. I am very impressed. It is refreshing and is slowly restoring my faith in humanity.

Caseykasem

New User
Casey

I would very much appreciate the Dunlap lathe if you have no use for it! I have been wanting to start turning for a while, and I accumulated a lot of other big tools a bit too fast :D

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I would very much appreciate the Dunlap lathe if you have no use for it! I have been wanting to start turning for a while, and I accumulated a lot of other big tools a bit too fast :D

Already spoken for unfortunately. But if that falls through I'll let you know.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Robert, David Ellsworth is a well-known turner. He turned his hollow forms using two tools he made himself. He would get some steel and drill holes into it and insert high speed steel metal lathe bits and glue them in place. Add a wooden handle and go to town. I went to a demonstration he did once and came home and made replicas of his tools. They work fine and didn't cause me any financial hardships. Turners are always being tempted by the newest sure-fire tool. I would think you could get by with a parting tool, roughing gouge, spindle gouge or two and maybe a skew if you are interested in experiencing catches on the lathe. Check out Craig's list for used lathe tools and look for high speed steel-carbon steel is good but needs sharpening too often. Good luck.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS