Entertainment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Built this for a friend over the last several weeks. The unit is based off of one he saw at one of the warehouse clubs but was too small for his a/v equipment. A few firsts for me which were fun and as always trying to cover mistakes seems to always eat some time. I was disappointed with last minute changes from the owner that eliminated a glass top for wood one ( after the top mitered frame was assembled), and a stained finish rather than a shellac now I am just ready to deliver it this weekend and move on to the next project.
All comments good and bad are appreciated, thanks for looking!
Mike

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice. :icon_thum

If you never point out any mistakes you 'covered', it's a pretty good bet no one will ever know they were there. This is a direct quote from SWMBO.

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
looks great Noah. You put me to shame with how fast you did it. OK back to my entertainment center.

Dan

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mistakes? What mistakes? Is it still a rule that mistakes don't count if you have to point them out? :gar-La; The piece looks fantastic. :icon_cheers

Bill

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Mike,

This is a good looking unit. I am impressed with the dovetail drawers and the drawer fronts.:icon_thum

Steve

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very nice work there, Mike!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Great design and the finish looks super.

What wood and finish was selected?

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Thanks for all the comments! The top is where I became a little discouraged as I had planned for a tempered glass top to sit in the rabbet of the top mitered frame. You would have been able to see the 6/4 oak supports though the glass. The top was mounted and sanded when the person I was building this for said he really wanted a wood top. I didn't think I could put solid hardwood inside that frame for fear of expansion and contraction, the longest piece of plywood I had was a few inches short of what I needed so I broke out the rail and style bit and came up with this.

Not the best fit as when I had sanded the top I already rolled the inside lip a little as not to splinter when taking the glass in and out. I am hoping this holds up and I am not revisiting this top next year.
Looks great! And heavy!
Half way through the build the extra center feet were added and I promise I will be removing everything with a slide or a hinge before I even attempt to get this off the assembly table.

What wood and finish was selected? Wayne
1/4 and 3/4 red oak ply, 4/4 and 8/4 red oak all from Wall Lumber
1/8" light smoke tempered glass from Quality Glass in Winston Salem
The finish like I said before was chosen by the owner MinWax Red Chestnut and due to some problems I am having with my hvlp gun 5 to 6 coats of rattle can lacquer was used.:no:

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Gotta tell ya that piece really looks nice! You did really well. I can visualize that smoked glass top. Man that would have been awesome. Fantastic:eek:ccasion1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS