Entertainment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
When the LOML and I were looking to purchase a house 5 years ago, she saw several entertainment centers at various houses that she liked. I told her that I could make one and I don’t think she believed me. After a few years, I finally got serious about it and the picture below shows the result.
983.JPG

View image in gallery

With every project that I build, I try something new. This project represents many firsts for me. Some of the firsts were:
1. First time that I have designed something with Google Sketchup. I spent several weeks researching designs on the web. The final product was inspired by a couple of different pictures. The LOML is a trained interior designer and she critiqued the project during design and construction.
2. I used pocket hole joinery to assembly the entire project.
3. I researched and constructed a jig to allow me to flute the four columns on the upper section.
4. This was the largest project that I have undertaken. The final dimensions were 8’ tall, 8’ wide, and 24” deep. This was designed to fit the space. It was difficult for two of us to pick up the top section and set it on the bottom section.
5. I used plywood for the major panels for the first time. The unit was constructed with 4/4 birch and ¾ birch plywood.
6. This was the first project that I have painted, but this is the finish the LOML wanted. It took a gallon of paint to complete two coats.
7. This is also the first furniture project where I have used crown molding and base board. I had to research how to cut crown molding. These two design elements helped to tie the piece of furniture to the room.

Comments welcome.

Steve

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work. I'm impressed how elegant it looks, entertainment centers often look so bulky.

TBradley190

New User
Tim
Looks great! :banana:Do you still have the Sketchup drawing? I would like to see it if you can post it, I messed with the free version a little bit but I couldn't get anything to look right. I assume you have the upgraded version. I want to try it, but it takes more time for me to sketch it on the computer than I can draw it out on paper.
Thanks,

Tim

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Wow, that turned out great! Nice job man. I'm sure your wife is proud to tell her friends that you built it from scratch. :eusa_clap

I tried sketchup once... didn't turn out well. :no:

only 8' from end to end.... Looked much bigger to me

what size TV is that then... ?

I am assuming your built the bottom cabinet then the two sides and then the top middle section so overall it is 4 pieces ?

The only thing I think I would do is put the TV on a wall mount to make it look like it is floating

if you would share the sketch up I would love to see it:eek:ccasion1

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Thanks for the comments.

Phillip: I failed to take any pictures of the unit in progress.

Mark: I did not leverage this project very well. I only got a pocket hole jig out of it, but I'll try not to make that mistake again.

Tatrick: The TV is a 43". I built the cabinet in two pieces. The bottom with the four doors and then the upper section. One of the more challenging parts was to keep both units on one side of a two car garage. I bought two movers dollys which allowed me to move the upper section around much easier.

Tim: I'll try to upload the Google Sketchup file. This was created with the free version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS