Entering the World of Crepe Myrtle

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a friend wanting me to turn a piece of crepe myrtle. Anyone taking down an oversized bush or tree anytime soon?

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
Gene,
I've got a couple of dry pieces in the shed. But Danny is right, almost all of them have one good crack that goes half the diameter.

What are you making?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Danny: Yep!
@jason: Dunno what will come out until I see what I'm starting with. I sold two vases made from boxwood/holly last week. They checked considerably.
@Stuart: K. As you know, I can vacuum stabilize only at this time. Oh wait, I've got the (pressure) top for canner also.

awldune

Sam
User
If you have some really big pieces of crape myrtle and can eliminate the pith, you can make things out of it. It has a bad smell when you cut it.

It is reasonably hard but sort of stringy and coarse-grained. I have not had much luck turning it. It likes to tear out.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I need to cut a couple of limbs from a myrtle in my yard. The tree is alive and green. The limbs are about 5" in diameter , maybe bigger. You are welcome to the wood. I'll probably burn it in the woodstove next year when it's dry.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I discussed this with my customer and it appears it was just a passing interest. I found some red bud in my stash and will give it a turn soon.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Heck - I bet Charlie could make a house from a crepe myrtle! :cool: ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS