End grain table: how to stabilize checks?

eyekode

New User
Salem
About 5 years ago a friend gave me a disk cut from a tree he had taken down. This weekend I got around to flattening it.
15794684021612561290721033688472.jpg

15794684343851311926328428392190.jpg
There are some checks in it, but they don't go all the way through. I was debating how to stabilize them. I could do butterflies. But was wondering if just epoxy would be sufficient?

I believe the table will live on my covered porch when done. So it will be exposed to humidity swings. But it is going to be a rustic piece and doesn't have to look perfect. Just has to hold my beer when I need a free hand :)
TIA!
Salem

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I have used epoxy to stabilize checks but never in a slab like you have. I injected the epoxy as deep as I could in the check and then clamped it together as much as I could. Good luck!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks guys. I will start with epoxy and see if I need more drastic steps. I like how butterflies look in long grain slabs but not sure they will look great in this project anyway.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would fill the cracks with epoxy either clear or colored and do the butterflies. I think it would all tie together nicely.

Red

eyekode

New User
Salem
Some progress: I filled the checks with epoxy and coffee grounds. Then I turned some legs, drilled some through holes and test fit:
20200201_113150.jpg

The top is 4" thick and the holes are 2" wide. I drilled them over 3 days time with a forstner bit. I drilled 1/2" at a time, vacuumed the shavings and walked away to let the bit cool.

Today I made some wedges:
20200201_131624.jpg

Also made some stretchers and glued up!
20200202_143420.jpg

Driving those wedges was pretty satisfying!

Finish sanding the top will be "fun".
Still haven't decided on a finish for sure but am leaning toward spar urathene as it will live on my covered porch.

It is nice to be back in the shop!
Salem

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes - Working with wood is really satisfying. I also work alot with metal, very different, fun, fascinating but, not like wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS