Enco mill

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
So I bought a mill...I wanted a Bridgeport but for $750 this was too good a deal to pass up.

IMG_20210903_083043.jpg

It's 3 phase so I'll have to address that but otherwise it's in good condition. I bought it from a friend.... He's going to deliver it and put it in my shop.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
A friend of mine has an Enco mill and runs it on a VFD rated for the motor horse power on 220 single phase...I don't remember the brand of the VFD, but I do know it was one made in the US...he told me he called their tech service and they helped him program it to make it work properly.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any tooling come with it? Are you gonna get a DRO setup? Better budget at least the cost of the machine to get going on tooling. Most folks just buy what they need as they go along. I did. Mine is not that big, but that's a bargain IMO.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
No tooling unfortunately. But hard to complain...
You've got plenty of wiggle room at that price. Most useful accessories cost more than what you paid for the mill.
A DRO and air collet wrench is a game changer.
Use a rotary phase converter so you can instant reverse for tapping.
For detailing wood joints, the mill is sinfully accurate. Be sure to suck up the dust.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Got a power feed on the table, too. Next will be R-8 collets, hold-downs and cutters.

Roy G

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One day in the future you'll do a little job and realize you didn't have to buy an accessory to do it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, that’s a real deal, and look another rabbit hole to go down . I see replacement part being milled in the future.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Those are mostly dull cutters and they should be scrapped. They will lead to nothing but frustration. Been there. That's a typical tray of dull tooling from a machine shop that kept them around for sloppy jobs.
The first time you use a new cutter will convince you. Yeah, its painful to toss them, particularly when starting out, so I figure you'll keep them at least for a while but you'll at least know the potential scope of their utility.

The 5C collets come in handy for holding all sorts of round stuff. Get a square & Hex collet block set. They get clamped in the vise.
Zeatool Collet Block Set 60º, 90º,120º cross hole drill | Toolots

Shars machine tool is a nice place to brows for better quality imports.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The mill looks like it had a Newall DRO at one time. Those things are great. That's the brand the dealer put on my machine.
A DRO and an air powered collet drawbar make a big difference but that will come in due time.
Mess with the machine and get to know it and the pace of machining. Its slower than woodworking.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
That mill uses 5C collets?
I thought nearly all (commercial) mills used R8?

Bob is correct - just as you wouldn't throw your woodpeckers or Starrett square on the floor, you wouldn't throw "good" sharp endmills in a "drawer"
BUT, I will argue for going through them, especially some of the larger ones like that two-flute (1" dia.??) in the left of the picture since you can take a set of diamond paddles and make it an "acceptable - hogger"! LOL

The little ones are nice, but if you are doing delicate work, you want a SHARP mill!!!

sign-up for the MSC catalogue and look on-line at travers tool - they run deals and I have purchase nearly all my endmills at half price when they run a deal!

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS