Emergency Surgery...Busted joint

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Fortunately, it was just a glue joint! Imagine that - I had trouble gluing joints. :rolleyes: Anyway, my 'signature' chessboard started to crack at a joint and eventually you could see through the crack. The board had a border so it was a matter of removing the border on all sides and then carefully running a knife down the cracked seam until I got a clean break. I'm considering the surgery a success. I'm hoping the recovery phase (adding a new border) will be a success as well.

Attachments

• IMG-3798.jpg
    IMG-3798.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG-3800.jpg
    IMG-3800.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG-3801.jpg
    IMG-3801.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG-3803.jpg
    IMG-3803.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 95

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Bill,
You are correct. "Wood will do what it wants to do".
The board split along the long grain because of contraction as it dried. Moisture introduced into the wood from the gluing process makes the wood expand and then it contracts as it dries. The solid border across the ends does not allow for exp/cont.
If you apply another border that doesn't float it will crack again.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Charlie and Bill
Just a thought....if you made the border out of glued-up end-grain pieces, would the problem be less likely to occur?
Here is something I did over a year ago...been waiting for movement but haven't noticed any. I guess in reality it is all long grain against long grain with similar expansion characteristics...functionally just a total end-grain board with an end-grain border.
Sorry for the crappy pic.

board.jpeg

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Charlie and Bill
Just a thought....if you made the border out of glued-up end-grain pieces, would the problem be less likely to occur?
Here is something I did over a year ago...been waiting for movement but haven't noticed any. I guess in reality it is all long grain against long grain with similar expansion characteristics...functionally just a total end-grain board with an end-grain border.
Sorry for the crappy pic.

Yes end grain border will work. You can't mix end grain with cross grain. In segmented turning all grain runs in the same direction. If pieces all small enough you can get away with mixing.
There is a reason why bread board ends are used on tables, etc.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
What about the physical therapy?
Ha! Physical therapy will be playing an actual game on the board. And if I'm playing - it's likely the other play will believe that the PT is going along just fine. I, on the other hand, will need many more 'appointments' (or worse opponents). :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS