Ellsworth Turning Seminar @ NCSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Did anyone attend this seminar over the weekend? If so would you share how it went re: pros and cons?

Thanks

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did not know about it. I would have gone. Do you know where it was advertised?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Ellsworth Turning Seminar @ NCSU - I did!

Well I guess I am one of the few, the proud, the... sorry i couldn't make it as a Marine.

I happened to be in Klingspor's on Weds and saw the flyer on their counter. Thurs 7 PM. I decided to set the event alarm on my phone. Then when my alarm sounded at 6:50, I took a bowl or whatever was cooking and said "Gotta miss dinner tonight dear - David Ellsworth is giving a free seminar!" She understood.

I got there late and the room was quite full. I sat in the back but had what i consider to be a great view. This was mostly because there have very good video and eventually worked out the audio (feedback issues). The video closeups allowed us to see (on decently sized screen_ the tool tip in action. David is clearly comfortable with his techniques, and GREAT with his explanations. His pace was good, maybe even a bit slow.

He turned two bowls (no sanding) from ash; one was conventional, and the second was a natural edge piece. He discussed tool presentation (angles, angles, angles) for roughing cuts, forget what he called his primary cut, and finishing cuts (shear scraping on exterior; finishing cut on interior).

I have read, and then re-read most of his book (which I can picture, but forget title of - here's the link to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Ellsworth-Woo...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337013328&sr=1-1). His presentation was very consistent with his book. Somehow i missed one important aspect of the shear scraping finishing cut (exterior): he cut it from rim to foot, not the conventional foot to rim. I had been doing this cut from foot to rim and was having some difficulty (limited success in achieving a high grit sandable surface off the gouge). I will have to implement his advice and see if it improves the surface. His remarks were that he was getting a 180 -r 220 grit surface off the gouge (in ash).

He sped up the second bowl - natural edge. Even when he stopped a dozen times to answer questions he turns faster than i do! He discussed natural edges a fair bit - but i was getting drowsy and less attentive at that point.

The best part in the Instant Gallery critique that came after 10 PM when presentation was done and most attendees had left. First he was very gracious and when he did not care for a choice made, always phrased it in a "TO my personal aesthetic..." this is too glossy or not enough finish or ... whatever.
Second - he spoke of using touch and not sight to detect fair curves and/or flat spots
Third - he critiqued styles and choices, on the whole was very affirmative and positive.
He did very much like the pieces that I had already decided were my favorites there (two ambrosia maple bowls).

overall - this was was second event there that I had attended, and found it very helpful (I am a relatively inexperienced turner). I have loved the detail in his book, and like his presentation (style, pace, detail, technique, video) just as much. It was well worth my effort to get over there!

Henry

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member

Thanks Henry. Sounds like it was a useful demo. I was also wondering if anyone got into his 3 day seminar and how that went. Anyone?

woodArtz

New User
Bob

I went to the Ellsworth event on Thursday. It was very good to see one of the masters at work. As Henry indicated, it was the speed at which he arrived at a finished bowl that was amazing. I guess after you've done thousands they get easier ;). I have used the shear scraping cut that he uses to clean up any lingering tear out, but his was done at a significantly high angle. Even thought the wood was quite green he still had very tiny angle hair shavings with this high angle shear cut. He spent a good bit of time talking about not wasting time with the smaller tenons/chuck jaws. Basically, the biggest you can use for your design... the better. As Henry notes above, the critique was very worthwhile. Although he was critiquing others work... we all saw something in our own that needed to be revisited.

Ellsworth.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS