electroplating

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Has anyone done any nickel, copper, or zinc plating?
I was thinking of how to refinish a #45 I got, and it occurred to me, there are a lot of things that would be well protected by a bit of nickel.
Another thought was if one could plate a DP quill to make the slop a bit less.

It does not look very difficult . Not like chrome, though dealing with copper waste is a bit of a problem as you never want it to go down the drain.

Does anyone locally do this? Is there a demand for it?

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I have a copy of The Electroplater's Handbook, by C.W. Ammen. It's very good with a number of safety tips and recipes. I'm happy to loan it to you if you PM your address.
Not sure about the idea of plating a quill. I think you'll have a 67% chance of making any slop worse.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I just googled and there are local places that do electroplating.

My guess is that you should consider finding a machinist / machine shop that also does 'finishing' or plating - as they are more likely to be able to handle your size/shape/weight of parts and will do one-off work. A google list comes up first with a company like Surftronics, but these are volume manufacturers that work on contract, and not likely to accept one-off work.

You can buy and do a lot 'at home' but appropriate disposal of the waste is a real issue. I personally would NOT consider doing this (or any plating) at home.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS