Electrolysis - it's not just for breakfast anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I just ran my first attempt at electrolysis last night on some parts for the Crescent jointer, it is awesome. I ran a batch with the two threaded knobs that attach the fence to the table. I wanted to start small to get a level of comfort before taking on a large batch. The electrolysis stripped off all of the rust and paint and I was left with parts that look nearly brand new. The jointer is from 1920 and these parts had a decent amount of rust and a couple of coats of paint. Based on these results I'm now a lot more comfortable giving the cutterhead a bath. :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
Better Living through Chemistry :mrgreen:

I'm anxious to see the refurb completed:icon_thum

Sapwood

M

McRabbet

Steve D said:
I just ran my first attempt at electrolysis last night on some parts for the Crescent jointer, it is awesome. I ran a batch with the two threaded knobs that attach the fence to the table. I wanted to start small to get a level of comfort before taking on a large batch. The electrolysis stripped off all of the rust and paint and I was left with parts that look nearly brand new. The jointer is from 1920 and these parts had a decent amount of rust and a couple of coats of paint. Based on these results I'm now a lot more comfortable giving the cutterhead a bath. :icon_thum

Yeah, but Steve, what is that big purple cloud :rbedface: I see rising just west of me? I may need to move!!! :lol:

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Steve,

I know I probably missed a previous post, but what is the process for the electrolysis? I am going to have a few parts to clean up soon as well.

- Brandon

Monty

New User
Monty
Great! Good to see ya got started, and lived to tell the tale! :mrgreen: Be sure to put something on that bare metal quick, or it'll start rusting right before your eyes!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Hey.......how much DC current and Arm & Hammer washing powder do I have to add to a 10' x 15' swimming pool so I can submerge my car in it? Do you think it will hurt the vinyl seat covers from Fingerhut........or should I take those off first?:lol:

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
Hey.......how much DC current and Arm & Hammer washing powder do I have to add to a 10' x 15' swimming pool so I can submerge my car in it? Do you think it will hurt the vinyl seat covers from Fingerhut........or should I take those off first?:lol:

D L

If I remember my chemistry correctly, those Fingerhut should be ok. Course the seat springs might get a thorough cleaning if you remove them. :rolf:

I wonder how many folks still remember the Fingerhut stuff?

MIke

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Steve D said:

Steve,

I finally ran across some nice plastic tubs at the flea market so I guess I am going to have to make one into a permanent electro - tub. What did you use as an electrode and did you use more than one?

Mike

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
mshel said:
If I remember my chemistry correctly, those Fingerhut should be ok. Course the seat springs might get a thorough cleaning if you remove them. :rolf:

I wonder how many folks still remember the Fingerhut stuff?

MIke

We had them on the seats of a '64 Studebaker and boy those Fingerhut vinyl seat covers were really wonderful on a hot summer day.:lol:

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
We had them on the seats of a '64 Studebaker and boy those Fingerhut vinyl seat covers were really wonderful on a hot summer day.:lol:

D L

Yea,

My dad got a set along with a faux leather coat. LOL I remember he hog ringed them to the underside of the seat on the springs. Them babies didn't even budge when someone got in. :rolf:

MIke

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
2 pieces of rebar, $.67 each ties together w/ copper wire and gound rod clamps. Cheap and easy. :mrgreen:
mshel said:
Steve,

I finally ran across some nice plastic tubs at the flea market so I guess I am going to have to make one into a permanent electro - tub. What did you use as an electrode and did you use more than one?

Mike

chris99z71

New User
Chris
hmmm...my gears are turning now...
With a big enough tub, this may just be the way to clean out t-slots on a rust unisaw table top...

sapwood

New User
Roger
mshel said:
What did you use as an electrode and did you use more than one?

Mike
I started out using rebar, but wanted more surface area. So I now use old lawnmower blades. They're free and it's easy to wire them together, encircling the part. I had difficulty maintaining 2-3 amps prior to that. Now I often get up to 9 amps using a plastic tub that holds over 20 gallons of solution with 4 blades.

Sapwood

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
sapwood said:
I started out using rebar, but wanted more surface area. So I now use old lawnmower blades. They're free and it's easy to wire them together, encircling the part. I had difficulty maintaining 2-3 amps prior to that. Now I often get up to 9 amps using a plastic tub that holds over 20 gallons of solution with 4 blades.

Sapwood

Roger,

Didn't you post a pic of your setup? I would like to see how you wired your setup.

MIke

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,

I'll be outta town for a day or so, but I'll try to get pixs up when I get back. Heading to Wilmington tomorrow and I'm meeting "frankson" with the Kids Making It program and getting a shop tour :mrgreen:

Sapwood

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Guess i am just going to have to leave one of my tools out in the rain so i can check this out:eusa_thin

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Sapwood, that's another great idea on the mower blades. I'm pulling 5 amps with the jointer fence and cutterhead in 15 - 20 gallons but bigger may be better yet.

Chris, think kiddie pool..... people do it all the time.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
SteveD,
Actually, with the wings off, I was thinking one of those cheap tubs they sell at the BORG for mixing Quikrete...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS