Elderberry Wood Branches Wanted

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have a potential customer wanting a flute made from elderberry wood.From what Ive read it is mostly prepped for a flute by working the soft pith out of the inside with some handtools...drills, rods etc. I googled it and Mr.Google said there is some in NC near marsh lands creeks etc. I am not sure what it look like other than pics with dark berries....I know there are some what people call gallberry bushes but elderberry I am not sure of.Any body know anything about elderberry? I have walked the woods behind my house for a long ways but nothing that I though was it.....I dont have the build info on elderberry flute yet so no big rush...Just looking and pondering at the moment! This is sort of a reproduction flute .

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
When I made flutes like this the center is cleaned with a heated rod........ that method goes back 1000 year or more in classical instrument making

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, what diameter is needed? Most elderberry I have seen tends to be more shrubby and not very big. And not very straight.

Roy G

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Mike, what diameter is needed? Most elderberry I have seen tends to be more shrubby and not very big. And not very straight.

Roy G
Roy,
I actually dont have any build dimensions yet for this flute. From the pics I saw they were very long but I have a lot of ?s about it myself.Im just trying to see what I can find if any all. It is a flute from Pacific northwest is what I was told.I just like to take on a challenge when someone brings me an idea for a flute they want.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
When I made flutes like this the center is cleaned with a heated rod........ that method goes back 1000 year or more in classical instrument making

Yes I have read that...Never tried it but wanted to give it a try....What kind did you make??

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Elderberry's make tasty jelly but I've never seen any in NC. It is a Bush like blackberries without the briers. It's been nearly 50 years since I picked the berries but I don't remember how big the branches were.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Elderberry's make tasty jelly but I've never seen any in NC. It is a Bush like blackberries without the briers. It's been nearly 50 years since I picked the berries but I don't remember how big the branches were.
FredP I dont think they are very big but out near CA they get some for small sized flutes....I probably would know one if I fell on it....lol

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS