Ekornes (Stressless) chair riser

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
My wife figured out that raising her Ekornes chair a bit would help her in getting out of it. After testing with temporary blocking, we decided that about 1-1/4” would be right. Here is the end result. The white rubber bumpers serve to make up for the height of the rug and will stop the chair from sliding on its plastic swivel base ring.
B321830B-B4A1-4201-864A-132EA03AB6CE.jpeg

Started at Homer’s with a 1/4 sheet of 3/4” Sandeply (over $30 and kinda splintery) and then bandsawed eight 90 degree arced segments. Then pattern routed to final dimension.
E79CAB14-E8F8-4FFE-A6B2-2E79F1FE3A4B.jpeg

Next assembled a ring of four topped by another ring of four offset 45 degrees all glued and screwed together. Then using a rabbet bit in my router table, rabbeted the top outside of the ring to fit the Ekornes plastic base ring.
B7B92968-C2BD-4220-A99D-B657BEE09170.jpeg

A bit of spackle filled the Sandeply voids. Sprayed it black with a rattle can and installed the bumpers to finish this useful little project. A functionally equivalent commercial one would have cost $178 at one place that I looked.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Effective and good-looking solution.
Thanks, Joe and Casey.

A solution for the chair sliding on the rug has long eluded us. The four white rubber on the lower back segment finally has fixed that problem.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Nice project!
If you ever need to raise it further you could use dowels /holes to 'stack' another ring and it would not have to be permanent.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS