egde joint 1/2" thick stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I'm planning on making some keepsake/ jewelry boxes for family for the holidays (they're coming up fast). Rough dimensions are ~5" x 7", 4-5" high using 1/2" thick stock. Digging through my scrap bin, I've got some nicely figured, but narrow 5/4 maple boards I'd like to use (~2-3" wide). My plan is to resaw to 1/2" and then edge join, kind of like a book-matched design, to get the final width needed. Does 1/2" thickness provide enough glue space for a decent edge joint. Granted these shouldn't see major stresses, but I'd hate to waste my time if others know better. Thanks for your input.

Sam

bash

New User
bash
Hi Sam,
I have made several keepsake boxes with 3/8" thick tops from cherry, maple, walnut, red elm, oak, and osage orange, (you can see a few pictures in my gallery) and have had no issue or failures gluing the tops the way you mention. For this application I think edge joining the 1/2" stock will be fine. Look forward to seeing some completed boxes.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Sam,

Good edges + good glue = good joint. It will work fine. I've done some at 1/8" without a problem.

bobby g

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I've been edge gluing harpsichord soundboards for 30 years - out of 1/8" thick Sitka Spruce. As long as your edges are well jointed, you'll have no problems. It's amazing how strong glue really is.

Ernie

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you want a little extra assurance (esp. if gluing endgrain) you might consider adding biscuits or dowels for additional reinforcement. If your gluing is all long-grain to long-grain then use of such is entirely optional (properly glued the glue joint will be stronger than the neighboring wood) -- but they do assist with alignment and prevent the joint from slipping excessively while you tighten the clamps down. The alignment aspect alone is often enough to justify the extra few minutes I'll spend adding a few biscuits.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
If you want a little extra assurance (esp. if gluing endgrain) you might consider adding biscuits or dowels for additional reinforcement. If your gluing is all long-grain to long-grain then use of such is entirely optional (properly glued the glue joint will be stronger than the neighboring wood) -- but they do assist with alignment and prevent the joint from slipping excessively while you tighten the clamps down. The alignment aspect alone is often enough to justify the extra few minutes I'll spend adding a few biscuits.

Good idea - where can I find some 1/16" thick biscuits?:rotflm:

Ernie

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Good idea - where can I find some 1/16" thick biscuits?:rotflm:

Hmmm.. somewhere we went from edge joining 1/2" thick boards to needing 1/16" biscuits? Of course, you could custom make some biscuits from 1/16" plywood. :wink_smil

If you really wanted a dowel-like guide for such thin boards you could use steel pins (even of the 21-23ga pinless nail variety) and pre-drill holes in each board to receive them -- would be no different than doweling. That said, for 1/8" boards it is probably easier to just leave them a bit thicker than needed, edge join them, then sand or plane to final thickness to remove all evidence of any unwanted slippage.

I've often used 1/8" dowels to repair drawers whose bottoms broke through the side or end panel's dado ... some glue and 1/8" dowels to reinforce the damaged lower edge of the dado and all is nearly as good as new.

striker

New User
Stephen
My personal philosophy is that the most valuable element in building anything is my time. Building something that's going to have a lasting meaning out of subpar material is not the best utilization of my time. I may be completely off base here, but a small box made of pieced together scraps may end up looking like a small box made of scraps. Personally, if we're only talking afew bd ft. I'd find some primo material and be done with it or veneer it.

Just one's opinion

Stephen

Last edited:

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
thanks all for your comments. I figured i'd be ok with the edge joints but wanted to be sure. good to know it's ok to use training wheels, I mean biscuits, to keep the boards straight!
Drogar-Laugh%28DBG%29.gif

a small box made of pieced together scraps may end up looking like a small box made of scraps

Good point, though I'd offer that not all "scraps" are created equal.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS