Edgebanding Circles??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Anyone ever put edge banding on circles? I need to make some for a client and I'm thinking plywood with edge banding if possible.

:icon_scra

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Hopefully you'll get an answer from someone who had a good result. I did it on two MDF small round tables. the veneer worked fine on the flats, but slightly puckered edges appeared after a couple of months. One point remembered; overlap the ends and cut at an angle, pull out the chips and clamp with a bike inner tube. After it dries, clean up with a edge trim bit.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've used preglued edge banding, the kind you iron on. Worked well, just work slowly. I've got a hot air edge bander, but find iron to be just as quick in most applications.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
fast cap has some good stuff. if you can get some t-molding that works really well for circles if the client is ok with the look.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No experience and real help here but a few thoughts and questions.

1. Diameter and thickness of the plywood circles?

2. Not the iron on veneer that Joe didn't like?

3. Solid wood edge bending may be possible. Maybe steam bending 1/4" - 3/8" thick strips using the plywood circle as the home base bending form? A larger diameter is easier to bend because it has a gentler curve radius.

This finishes out at 12" diameter with a 1/4" thick edge band which is mitered at a 60 degree overlapping angle to finish.

circle:edgebanding:jackleg.jpg

Making it is a different matter!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why is this thread in the "User Announcements" Forum instead of "General Woodworking" for broader exposure?

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I used a pre-glued edge banding that gets ironed to melt the glue. It was used on a round poker table's top and it worked out very nicely. I've had the table for about 12 years and the banding is still on with no issues. I painted the top and edge banding after letting the glue set for a day or so. The hardest part of applying the edging was to make sure to go slow enough to get the glue melted.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Paul is a great guy, his company is really great also

When I first ordered online from Fastcap, I called them up with a complaint (really, just a question) about their shipping costs. Amazingly, I got a personal email back from Paul himself. He apologized for the problem, said he would take care of it (he did!), and sent me a $100 gift certificate for my trouble. You can't ask for more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS