Edge Treatment for Veneered Table Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamak

New User
Andy
Hello woodworkers,

I'm working on building the sliding top table in Tage Frid's Furnituremaking book. All has been going well, but now I'm struggling a little with the top. I veneered the top using commercial walnut veneer (thin) and plastic resin glue over birch plywood. Not great results on the 1st panel - I was worried about bleed-through so I applied the glue a little thin. A little too thin as it turns out, because the edges are not stuck down well. I applied more glue on the 2nd panel and got good adhesion with minimal bleed through. Anyway, I made these panels by applying 3/8" thick solid walnut edging to all 4 edges of the plywood sheets. The edge banding is mitered at the corners and scraped/sanded flush with the plywood. I then veneered the panels with the veneer laid on top of the edge banding. I really wanted to avoid the typical edge-banded plywood look with the table. My plan was to slightly chamfer the edges both for looks and to provide a little protection for the edge of the veneer. Now I'm not so sure that's a good plan and I'm thinking about just cutting the panels down and applying 1/2" edge banding all around to protect the veneer edges. Has anyone had any experience applying commercial veneers over the edge banding? Do you think it's worth trying to continue with that plan, or should I just punt and apply the edge banding? The table isn't going to be in hard service - it's mostly just going to be off to the side, but will be brought out as an extension of our regular dining table when there's a crowd.

striker

New User
Stephen
I think you have a very valid question. I don’t know that I’m the best qualified to answer your question as my experience with plywood veneering is limited at best. I think with commercial veneer as thin as it is today, I think you’d be fine with your plan to overlay the veneer provided its down tight on the perimeter. Any gaps or loose veneer would be a problem as I see it. As an alternative, possibly route a small rabbet at the edge intersection and lay in a band of contrasting wood so the veneer edge is not exposed. Of course, this may not be the look you want to create.

Stephen

aamak

New User
Andy
Ok, thanks for the response. I guess I'll keep working with the problem panel trying to get the edges glued down securely and chamfered. If I'm not successful, all that's lost is some time and I'm not too worried about that. If I'm not happy with the results, I'll edge band or try your idea about a small rabbet. A 3/16" or 1/4"square strip of wenge might look really good around the perimeter next to the walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS