Edge sander restoration COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: restoration in progress: edge sander

Great start Jay, seeing this mound of rust turn into a usable machine is going to be fun.

jhreed

New User
james

I agree that the sander is probably fabricated and not manufactured. I wonder if you could take that serial number to Rockwell and find some history on this monster?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Jay, I always enjoy seeing your restored projects. Thanks for posting this. I hope you keep posting as the progress continues.

Just curious, where/how do you find all these old machines?

Bill

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad

The North American Rockwell tag was an inventory asset tag. North American was the Aircraft manufacturing arm of Rockwell. They produced the T-6 Texan, T-28, The P-51 Mustang, F-86 Saber, F-100 Super Saber, A-5 vigilante, Ov-10 Bronco, and the one I worked on for them, The B-1B bomber. There were North American plants in Columbus, Ohio, Tulsa OK, and a couple in California at Palmdale and Downey. They also built the Apollo Comand/service module and the second stage of the Saturn 5. That sander could have come from any of those places. You have a piece there that was a part of a great aerospace company with a very large impact on this country. They were sold to Boeing in 1996.

BWSmith

New User
BW

Looks like its progressing nicely!

I hear ya on the pic thing,we're usually so intent on getting a new/old machine inplace and fired up that just don't take the time to pic document.Thanks for taking the time,BW

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User

The North American Rockwell tag was an inventory asset tag. North American was the Aircraft manufacturing arm of Rockwell. They produced the T-6 Texan, T-28, The P-51 Mustang, F-86 Saber, F-100 Super Saber, A-5 vigilante, Ov-10 Bronco, and the one I worked on for them, The B-1B bomber. There were North American plants in Columbus, Ohio, Tulsa OK, and a couple in California at Palmdale and Downey.
And the T-2C Buckeye trainer. I learned to fly in that little jet which we dubbed the "Fighter Guppy" because of its ungainly appearance.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Wow Jay!

That looks like plenty in one day to me!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_danc

Having to use that shop crane to disassemble the motor is mind boggling to me.

I for one really enjoy reading your progress and seeing the great WIP pictures.

Thanks so much for all of detail. (This is a learning experience for me as well.)

Thanks

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Ingenious method for getting the bells off. I'll have to remember that. Thanks for sharing the WIP!

WadeP

New User
Wade

Man the things I learn in unexpected places. Using all-thread to pull off the ends... to you it may be 'ehh done it before' but to me that is great outside the box stuff! Love your commentary and pictures too.

Enjoy your trip!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Being a person who needs an hour and a couple of band-aids to get the shrink wrap off of a CD, I'm amazed at your work with this machinery. I understand absolutely nothing about what you're doing, and yet I'm fascinated by it. Looking forward to more pix and the conclusion of this most interesting thread.

Ernie

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Being a person who needs an hour and a couple of band-aids to get the shrink wrap off of a CD, I'm amazed at your work with this machinery. I understand absolutely nothing about what you're doing, and yet I'm fascinated by it. Looking forward to more pix and the conclusion of this most interesting thread.

Ernie

I don't know about Jay, but it is the same with me and harpsichords!:gar-Bi

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Great pics and story Jay! :icon_thumIf they still made stuff like this today, China would be hurting!! :wsmile:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark

Do have one question. How do you paint in this heat? I have a project that is stalled right now due to outside temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS