Edge sander recommendations

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Looking for recommendations on edge sanders. Thinking about purchasing one and would like some info on ones people have or have used. some pros and cons if possible. Thanks in advance.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have an 89" Grizzly. No complaints. I don't use the attached spindle sander much since I have a stand alone oscillating one. The edge sander does oscillate but mostly on the right side near the motor. But the table is easily moved up and down to access fresh areas of the belt when one strip becomes worn. One thing about edge sanders is you need to be careful that the leading corner doesn't catch and throw the piece across the floor. So ease up on the feed rate. I have a large Grizzly disc sander I use whenever I don't need a long sanded edge since it forces the workpiece down into the table.

Also, these things make a bunch of dust so be sure to use a high volume collector.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
I have an 89" Grizzly. No complaints. I don't use the attached spindle sander much since I have a stand alone oscillating one. The edge sander does oscillate but mostly on the right side near the motor. But the table is easily moved up and down to access fresh areas of the belt when one strip becomes worn. One thing about edge sanders is you need to be careful that the leading corner doesn't catch and throw the piece across the floor. So ease up on the feed rate. I have a large Grizzly disc sander I use whenever I don't need a long sanded edge since it forces the workpiece down into the table.

Also, these things make a bunch of dust so be sure to use a high volume collector.

Great thanks for the info. I haven’t looked at the grizzlies yet, but will surly check them out.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ordered a Laguna edge sander from Klingspor. They were back-ordered and it took a while to get it but that might have changed. One thing I liked about it was it will run on 110V unlike most of them. Think it is 1.5 HP, which is plenty.

I put casters on it and the sheet metal base bent under the weight. My bad - I now need to disassemble it and put a sheet of 1/2" plywood under the base to better support the casters - which is what I should have done in the first place.

joec

joe
User
I have a Jet. It is good other than the dust collection, but I expected that when I ordered it, so I am happy with it.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
I ordered a Laguna edge sander from Klingspor. They were back-ordered and it took a while to get it but that might have changed. One thing I liked about it was it will run on 110V unlike most of them. Think it is 1.5 HP, which is plenty.

I put casters on it and the sheet metal base bent under the weight. My bad - I now need to disassemble it and put a sheet of 1/2" plywood under the base to better support the casters - which is what I should have done in the first place.
I was actually looking at the laguna is yours the 6/89T?

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
Timing might be good.
I recently bought a Jet - Oscillating Edge Sander, Model OES-80CS but I'm getting out of woodworking. I've used it about a dozen times and it's about 9 months old and I'm looking to sell it (together with all my other woodworking equipment) for $850 with extra belts and a mobile base. Not sure if you live near enough to Charlotte, NC?

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
Delta Unisaw 3hp with 52" beisemeyer and all the options/upgrades (this is the new model and about 4 years old)
Jet 15" 3HP bandsaw (1 yr old)
Jet 22/44 drum sander
Jet 16" planer (less than 1yr old)
Jet oscillating Edge belt sander (less than 1 yr old)
Powermatic 6" helical jointer
Jessem Router table with Mast-R-Lift 2/Bosch 1617 router and every possible high end Jessem and woodpecker option/accessory
Plus, some high quality exotic lumber and all kinds of fences, miter gauges, Woodpecker jigs/tools and accessories.
Everything, except for the Unisaw is on mobile base and has manual and everything else it came with.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Delta Unisaw 3hp with 52" beisemeyer and all the options/upgrades (this is the new model and about 4 years old)
Jet 15" 3HP bandsaw (1 yr old)
Jet 22/44 drum sander
Jet 16" planer (less than 1yr old)
Jet oscillating Edge belt sander (less than 1 yr old)
Powermatic 6" helical jointer
Jessem Router table with Mast-R-Lift 2/Bosch 1617 router and every possible high end Jessem and woodpecker option/accessory
Plus, some high quality exotic lumber and all kinds of fences, miter gauges, Woodpecker jigs/tools and accessories.
Everything, except for the Unisaw is on mobile base and has manual and everything else it came with.
Oh man what kind of lumber do you have

pensbystephen

New User
Yorkie
I don't mind either way. If you want to come down and look through what I have and make a fair offer, I'm fine with that.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was actually looking at the laguna is yours the 6/89T?

Probably, I'm only aware of the one model that they make. The manual was a little to be desired as to specs and such, but I really don't need much of that - it works and there's not much needed to be said about it in terms of a manual. A better manual would have been nice, but I figured out where all of the parts were supposed to be installed.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Looking for recommendations on edge sanders. Thinking about purchasing one and would like some info on ones people have or have used. some pros and cons if possible. Thanks in advance.
I went through that last year, ended up buying a Grizzly G0564 oscillating edgesander (220V version). My selection criteria were : Must have oscillation, 3-5 hp, adjustable table, built-in dust ports and 36 in sanding length. There are only a couple of machines in this price range so that made the selection easier. The same machine is sold by jet, powermatic and delta...all brands that I do not touch due to their horrible cutomer service and inflated prices. A fellow member on this site let me stop by his shop and try out the Grizzly machine. And after seeing it in action I ordered it. Sander arrived well grated and shrink-wrapped. There was not a single scratch or blemish (which is not that common for a UPS freight delivery). Fit and finish was quite good, only a couple of sharp edges on the spindle platen that needed a bit of touch up. The sander was usable right out of the box, no adjustment was needed. It runs quiet without any noticeable vibrations. I had the sander for about a year now and so far it has worked flawlessly.
One downside is that the sander does not have a provision to mount casters on the base. Since I mount all my equipment of leveling casters, I needed to modify the base a bit to attach casters.
Overall I am very satisfied. Fit and finish exceeded my expectation.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Davebrad

New User
Dave
I went through that last year, ended up buying a Grizzly G0564 oscillating edgesander (220V version). My selection criteria were : Must have oscillation, 3-5 hp, adjustable table, built-in dust ports and 36 in sanding length. There are only a couple of machines in this price range so that made the selection easier. The same machine is sold by jet, powermatic and delta...all brands that I do not touch due to their horrible cutomer service and inflated prices. A fellow member on this site let me stop by his shop and try out the Grizzly machine. And after seeing it in action I ordered it. Sander arrived well grated and shrink-wrapped. There was not a single scratch or blemish (which is not that common for a UPS freight delivery). Fit and finish was quite good, only a couple of sharp edges on the spindle platen that needed a bit of touch up. The sander was usable right out of the box, no adjustment was needed. It runs quiet without any noticeable vibrations. I had the sander for about a year now and so far it has worked flawlessly.
One downside is that the sander does not have a provision to mount casters on the base. Since I mount all my equipment of leveling casters, I needed to modify the base a bit to attach casters.
Overall I am very satisfied. Fit and finish exceeded my expectation.

Cheers,
Bernhard
Great info thanks l. I was actually looking at that very one last night and if I go with grizzly it’ll be the one I get.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Timing might be good.
I recently bought a Jet - Oscillating Edge Sander, Model OES-80CS but I'm getting out of woodworking. I've used it about a dozen times and it's about 9 months old and I'm looking to sell it (together with all my other woodworking equipment) for $850 with extra belts and a mobile base. Not sure if you live near enough to Charlotte, NC?
I am not too far and could use one too... If the OP doesnt first!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS