Edge Pro Sharpening System

Johnson

New User
AD
Does anyone use or have any experience with the Edge Pro Apex knife sharpening system? I am considering upgrading to this system from my Lansky system, but I'm not sure that the result will be worth the price. My research shows that the Edge Pro system is superior, but I wanted to see if anyone had hands on experience due to the $250 price tag. This obviously would be for knives only, I sharpen my chisels and plane irons on diamond plate before progressive sandpaper and stropping. I've never been able to get the hang of freehand sharpening hunting and kitchen knives.

Thanks

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I have had an Apex Edge Pro for several years. It is a well made tool and works as advertised. I can't say whether it will give better results than another system since I don't have experience with the others. I do find it awkward to sharpen small blades (like a pocket knife) and the tips on kitchen knives are also difficult as the blade height gets less towards the point. A quick look at the website suggests they have accessories designed to address both of these issues but they are not troubling enough to get me to spend more money. Yes, the kits are relatively expensive but anything worth having is worthing paying up for. I say if you like the system and can afford it, then buy it; sometimes it not just about the money and you'll have it for a long time. That said you can save a few dollars by getting one of their simpler kits. I never use anything finer than a 600 grit stone on my kitchen knives. Also note that a honing steel is absolutely necessary to keep a fine edge between sharpenings. By doing that every couple of uses, and using exclusively wood or plastic cutting boards my knives can go several months before needing a full sharpening.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I use a Grizzly wet grinder Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com. It is exactly the same price but it is much more versatile. The Grizzly jigs are crap, sorry to be blunt. The good news is that all the Tormek jigs work perfectly on the Grizzly. Tormek makes a couple of knife jigs plus tons of other jigs to sharpen about anything. The leather wheel was a game changer for me to get a laser edge.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I used to have the Lansky system and never could get used to it or get what I considered a good edge. The knives were mostly household kitchen knives and a few hunting knives for deer cleaning and processing.

A friend gave me an Accusharp Knife & Tool Sharpener that worked very well for me. About $15. The knives are plenty sharp and don't need the same razor edge quality that we want for chisels and plane irons.

I've never been able to get the hang of freehand sharpening hunting and kitchen knives.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Worksharp it along with sandpaper have solved my sharpening problems. I use a 1/2 inch thick float glass with the sandpaper & a Veritas guide. Almost forgot I use Oneway system for lathe tools.

Pop

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I was given a Spyderco sharpmaker as a gift : Amazon.com: Spyderco Tri-Angle Premium Sharpmaker Set with DVD and Two Sets of Alumina Ceramic Stones - 204MF: Sports & Outdoors

I have found it very good for maintaining my knives, both EDC and the kitchen cutlery. It does take a while to establish the edge initially if your bevels are bad, but after that, it is just a few strokes to renew the edge. I do use a Dia-sharp diamond plate to remove any chips from the edge. The stones that came with my Spyderco are fine and extra fine, so it is designed more for maintenance than for establishing an edge for a badly abused knife. I believe they also make a diamond stone for more aggressive material removal. Lots of You tube videos on its use.

Lhloy

New User
Larry
I have and use the Edge Pro Apex model. I made a sub-plate for the base top from aluminum and inletted rare earth magnets to serve as a blade clamp, which I have had good success with. Without the blade clamp, you have to do a two-handed "track the belly curve" of the knife while holding it flat against the base with one hand and stroking the sharpening stone with the other hand. You have to be 'amphibious' (ha ha NC State inside joke) to get this right, which isn't too bad with practice. The only problem with the magnetic clamp is that if you have a stationary long blade, due to system geometry the sharpening angle does change a bit the further out you go. For some blades this isn't even noticeable, and for long skinny filet knives it is obvious but definitely better than the alternatives. I found that a super sharp filet knife trumped all the rules. I have had it for quite a few years, and I used to use it frequently but today I only use it for special circumstances, because over the years I have learned to free-hand sharpen my knives on the diamond plates I use for my wood plane irons and chisels.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS