Edge Burning: Is There a Better Solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I need some advice...I realize the some of the hardwoods (cherry, maple, etc) are very susceptible to edge burning during milling and sawing operations. That said, I have minimized the problem during milling operations by using a sharp bit and setting my router speed to the slowest possible setting; however, I am not sure what I can do with regard to rip cuts on my table saw. Currently, I am using a new combo blade that came with my saw (SawStop), it is a very sharp, high quality blade, nonetheless I am encountering significant charring. Can anyone recommend a blade (or technique) that will minimize the problem. I ended up using my smoothing plane to get rid of the charred edges on my current project...if this is the only solution, I will need to factor this into all future measurements prior to cutting to width.

Thanks,
Donn

timf67

New User
Tim
Assuming that the wood isn't being pinched between the blade and the fence, the next thing would be feed rate and/or a dedicated rip blade. The burning comes from heat build-up, so the longer the blade is in contact with a section of wood, the more likely to burn. I would feed the wood through the rip cut as fast as you are comfortable doing. Next is the blade. A good rip blade has less teeth and deeper gullets. This keeps the blade cooler during cutting and reduces burns. The other thing to try is a blade silencer or stabilizer. You can get inexpensive ones from griz.

jhreed

New User
james
I would guess you need some fence adjustment. Sounds to me the fence is pinching to wood. The blade body should not touch the wood as the carbide teeth are wider than the blade blank.
James

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Tim and James, thank you! I'll look into these suggestions. I thought my fence was adjusted (I had checked it earlier), but your comments have me thinking that I need to revisit this calibration.

Again, thank you.
Donn

Skymaster

New User
Jack
First thing I wood do b4 anything else: Get a GOOD dedicated rip blade.Combo's are a middle road, does alot of things fair but NONE really good.
Freud makes some really great blades and they r reasonable; I use em in the shop along with Amana's.
Soft woods are less of a problem but hard woods need dedicated blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS