Ebony(another ? please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Re: Ebony

Hard and brittle. It finishes like glass though. Sand it through 12000MM and you'll love what you see. It makes great pens, accents, and finials. I love it when I can get it.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Hard and brittle. It finishes like glass though. Sand it through 12000MM and you'll love what you see. It makes great pens, accents, and finials. I love it when I can get it.

Then I should turn at the slowest speed? - Will I need to apply any finish to it? Alos when boring it out for the pens do I need to bore it like I would acrylics

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Then I should turn at the slowest speed? - Will I need to apply any finish to it? Alos when boring it out for the pens do I need to bore it like I would acrylics

drill slow. heat in the enemy. once round it peals like butter and leaves a smooth surface with very little sanding to do. it polishes with MM and requires no finish at all. I think you're gonna like it.:gar-Bi I turn it at regular speeds but slow it down for sanding. heat.... remember?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

+1 on drill slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Very slow. This means both the drill speed and the rate of feed. Also us a sharp clean bit.

sawduster

New User
Robert

i have several pieces ( old knife handle blanks ) I got from my FIL and i love it ! :icon_thum I can attest to the tips offered here. Drill s-l-o-w , sharpen that skew so you can shave with it ( is there any other way ? :mrgreen: ) micro-mesh and "wow" :eek: It really does work nice once you get it rounded :icon_thum
It is unforgiving on the drilling side ....I ruined a couple of pieces before I wised up :BangHead: :gar-Cr

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

I have made pens out of ebony and it can look incredible. I have done a few with some white and black, quite a stunning effect.
As said, drill slowly. Sand with light pressure. Stop often to - let the wood cool. I've have ebony pens that were very nice... until they cracked. ARGH!!
I quit turning ebony until I've had the blank for a while and knew the wood was dry and stable.
I got my last bunch of ebony pen blanks at a very reasonable price - less than the price of 2 at WC, so deals can be found-
At the same time I got some long pieces (also for a steal) and have only turned 1 of them. I keep thinking about trying some sort of instrument - a flute or fife but I don't know where to start.
What else do you do with a 2" square 20" long?

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Thanks guys I can't wait to try it - :eusa_danc will let you see the out come soon I hope

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

wear a mask.. the fine particulate from the Macassar ebony made me itch like crazy and burned my nasal passages.

Nice stuff though..

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

^5 Earl!
Truly something I hadn't even considered...
I thought a segmented turning was one of mine after I had to fix it-
like the dogwood piece Thursday that inderwent 3 "modifications"...... grrrr
I will not make one more pass
I will not make one more pass
I will not make one more pass...

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
shhhhh, Fred; my wife might hear you.

For our 40th anniversary, the LOML wanted a big classy new ring, so....I got my (jeweler) brother-in-law to set a "cats eye" marble in a 24k setting and it was gorgeous...until it fell off the bathroom vanity onto the ceramic tile floor and "exploded" into a million pieces. Fortunately she has a great sense of humor - she married me after all - laughed.
One last important note: file this under pure fiction :rotflm:, but I couldn't resist telling a story - sorry.
Russ

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
I just turned a bottle stopper with some yesterday - my first time to turn Ebony. I love it. I finished it with Mylands friction polish and it looks like it was dipped in lacquer - but it doesn't have a cheap plastic-y look.

Yes it's brittle but with sharp tools and careful execution you shouldn't have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors