Ebay - what's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, folks. I have not been on eBay much lately, but I figured I would go hunt down a good "starter" for the "what's wrong with this picture" game. This is the first one that jumped out at me... there are plenty of others, but this is a start.

Click the pic to go to the auction:

So... what's the main "problem" that you see in this picture?

Just to be clear: the purpose of this kind of post is not to be critical of the seller or their item, but just to help people learn what to look for when they see an item like this listed.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The only negative I see is that the blade and lever cap are from a type 17 war model plane and the body/frog are pre-1932. The blade and lever cap will work fine, they're just not the correct ones for the plane. Stanley made the Victory blade at the end of WW II in celebration of the Allied "Victory". Other than that, the plane looks good. The corrugated base is a plus and the wood looks good. With some sprucing up, tuning and sharpening, it will make a good user.

Andrew A

Andrew A
User
Ding, Ding, Ding....we've got a winner and 32 minutes no less...good observations Oz....what does he win?...good posting idea sleepless!!...a

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
This is not a web forum.. It is a see how long it take someone to answer site... "Rapid response center".. what I believe I saw someone call it.

Monty

New User
Monty
OK. Oz gets the prize. Oz, here's your prize: :eyeslam:

Anyway, the point is to try to recognize the anachronism in this picture. The frog and the lever cap don't match. The lever cap has a "kidney" shaped hole. This was introduced in the type 16 planes (1933+). The frog has a solid face with an arched top, indicating that it is a type 15 or earlier. Type 16+ frogs have a kind of ogee-shaped contour on the top, with some hollowed out areas on the face of the frog. So... the frog is ≤ type 15, and the lever cap is ≥ type 16. This is what is sometimes called a "frankenplane". The seller has put together parts from different types of planes to make a marketable product.

What type is the BODY of the plane? Who knows? You can't tell from the pics or description. Some ways you COULD tell would be if the seller showed a pic of the area just below the front knob (is there a raised rib there?), or told you what the patent dates were (are there 0, 1, 2, or 3 dates listed?). If you knew this, you could better ascertain the date of the body.

Now, the real question is: does this affect the value of the plane? As a collector, yes; as a user, not really. It should work just fine, but don't pay collector prices for it, IMHO. If this goes for <$20, it might be worth it to you just for the usable wood or other parts (if you happen to have a plane that is in need of repair). One other thing to mention: You can't tell the condition of the tote (rear handle) from the pics or description. Personally, I wouldn't bid on this one without clarifying that with the seller (more detailed pics or description), because the wood is really all I personally would want this one for, anyway.

So.... are posts like this helpful? I know I learned a lot from posts like this on Woodnet.

TimRice

New User
Tim
insomniac said:
So.... are posts like this helpful? I know I learned a lot from posts like this on Woodnet.

This was VERY informative for me. I'm looking at hand tools for the time being, and knowing what to look for is of great value. Not just on eBay but with Yard Sales and Flea Markets.

More please!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yes, this is great fun and also very informative. BTW, I am very impressed with your (Insomniac) and Ozzie's knowledge of old hand tools. Ya'll need to get out more often:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, thanks, I learned something today.

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:

And the hog says..........Mickey's big hand is on the 2 and his little hand is on the 10.........so what time is it?:lol:

Seriously Insom, I found this post to be both beneficial and informative and would look forward to reading more like it. I may not be able to contribute much, but I sure can learn a bunch from them.

Thanks,
D L

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I would say, if you are looking for a user, you may want to ask the seller
about the shipping cost, and the condition of the handle and knob, if you
can get it for < $30 total, that'll be a fair price on the bay.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great idea and yes, very useful info. You da man Insom :eusa_clap

Two suggestions:
A: Do some "dumb down" versions for those of us not on such a high plane
B: Offer better prizes

Sapwood

Monty

New User
Monty
:-| ummm.... actually, this WAS the "dumb down" version. :slap:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the prizes... well, I have to work with what I'm given. Here, how about a group hug for a job well done: :5grouphug

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Yes, especially the prizes could be better. Group hug would be better than my prize that knocked my few brains out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS