Ebay Tools

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
So, I bid on this lot of items on Ebay, mostly because it had a saw set and the Rabbet plane. The #79 Rabbet plane was in great shape so went for it. I got the lot for 45 bucks. Anyway, I ended up with the following- All are Stanley except the screwdriver:
#18 cabinet miter (always liked this type)
#79 rabbet plane
#42x saw set,
#94 scribe marking gauge
#95-1/2 scribe marking gauge
#220 Brace 10"
2 Stanley Eggbeater drills
Sure-form
Siding Marking Gauge
a Split tip slot screwdriver

The plane is in great shape and glad I finally got this, been looking for one. The Saw-set is in good condition needs a little TLC. The rest are awesome extras, the marking gauges I have already used.
The worst thing about this was how badly all of them smelled like old cigarette smoke. I cleaned them so no issue now.

This is the way of Ebay, occasionally you find something else instead of the original look. I was looking at Chisels and this popped up.
Ebay tools.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought my #79 from eBay in England. It was about $45 plus a few bucks shipping. Their mail rates are much lower than ours. I use mine for adjusting sliding dovetails. They sell in the $75 - $90 range here.

That bevel gauge (i have 5 like that) is an easy $30.

Egg beaters are fun to keep set with certain bits like countersink, small drill bit for screws, couple sizes. That way you don't have to change bits, just reach for a different drill. I get these for $10-$15 for time to time. Have a few.

A 42X is usually around $75 but I have seen $90 lately.

You really made out on that one.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Mike is correct... You got a smoking deal on the 42x and the seller threw the rest in for free.

I have a number of saw sets and the 42x is the best hands down. Just make sure the two-stage plunger/anvil is working correctly. When I got mine the plunger was frozen but the anvil worked fine. A little PB Blaster broke it free.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This one has a solid plunger, making me believe they used a 42 plunger in this. So, is there a place to get a 2-stage plunger replacement ? or is there a picture or drawing someone has so I can see what it looks like if I have to make one.

I really only need the sawset for the tenon and dovetail saws. So, a little disappointing that I do not have the dual plunger. I could just file the plunger down, but then it really would be for finer tooth saws only..... not a biggie.

Mike is correct... You got a smoking deal on the 42x and the seller threw the rest in for free.

I have a number of saw sets and the 42x is the best hands down. Just make sure the two-stage plunger/anvil is working correctly. When I got mine the plunger was frozen but the anvil worked fine. A little PB Blaster broke it free.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I thought mine was solid... until I unfroze it. Does it say 42x on the underside of the handle?

20210520_201632.jpg

20210520_201649.jpg

20210520_201653.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes it is a 42 x I have disassembled and cleaned so yeah it is solid and that part looks younger than the rest

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mine is different. Does the pin that is the secondary plunger go all the way through the back and is bored through ? if so can you post a pix of those angles. Also, a brass wire brush will clean that up nicely

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Yes... The plunger is hollow. The small spring fits inside and the anvil fits inside the spring. The larger spring fits on the outside of the plunger.

I'll post pics....

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Can you post a pic of yours? Just curious.

I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Here you go Here are the pixs

@richo I also got a Stanley tri-square I forgot to show as well

Attachments

• 42x (1).jpg
    42x (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • 42x (2).jpg
    42x (2).jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 42x (3).jpg
    42x (3).jpg
    954 KB · Views: 92
  • 42x (4).jpg
    42x (4).jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 42x (5).jpg
    42x (5).jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 42x (6).jpg
    42x (6).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I had to take at look at my Stanley saw sets and one of then is an X.
Now I will have to take it apart and clean it so it will work properly.
Thanks Guys, like I needed more work...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Maybe I am misunderstanding ...you saying the plunger is supposed to be 1 piece ? I thought it had a mini plunger within the plunger

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
From Jim Bode:

The 42X is different from all the other 42s. It has a dual plunger. There is a larger, round plunger that activates first and grabs the saw blade. Inside the larger one there is a smaller one that activates next and does the setting. This makes for a more positive set with less effort.

I was told the part that "sets" the teeth was the anvil... That may not be the correct terminology but I stick with it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS