Easy Turning Ideas

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Note - the 'reply with quote' feature was not working when I wrote this so I am manually entering Ed's text.

Ed wrote: " I’ve been working to become a better turner for 20 years. On a scale of one to ten and on a good day, I’ve gotten to perhaps 6.5. I enjoy the near-instant gratification and diversion from flatwork."

My take is similar, except I haven't risen to the 6.5 level. I "needs more practise"....

Ed wrote
: "I could not agree more when it comes the need for sharp tools! With that…

I think it takes an exceptionally experienced and skilled individual to sharpen turning tools freehand. For that reason and unless I missed an earlier recommendation in this thread, consider a Oneway Wolverine system (basic jig and the Vari-grind). Stuart Kent is an exceptionally experienced and skilled individual and he uses them. "

My take is similar to Ed's - except there are other options for jigs (read cheaper when you see 'other'). No disrepsect to the Wolverine - clearly a very appropriate tool and great recommendation; I just wasn't ready to plunk down more cash after buying lathe and turning tools.
In terms of jigs, I use a shop made version of David Ellsworth's bowl gouge jig (for the so called fingernail grind); it's made with scrap on hand and it works well for my bowl gouge. I copied the basic idea from info in one of his books, but simplified it. Since I sharpen this tool best, and since I do primarily bowls, this covers 90+% of my sharpening needs.
I do sharpen other tools freehand (skew), but without much practice this is not my best skill.
I also use my belt/disc sander as my 'grinder' - also not ideal, but it was the tool I have on hand.

My point is I guess that such things can be accomplished on a budget.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Here's a Christmas tree ornament I turned for our club a few years back. While not particularly a beginner's project, it illustrates the importance of sharp tools and cutting, not scraping. It starts with a block of either clear white pine or basswood cross drilled to make an area to put little bird nests or whatever.

July 2017 Demo - Bob Vaughn

Now if those pictures don't make you want to get out to the shop, I don't know what will. I can't wait to pick up some turning blanks after this lockdown is out of the way.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, I have that exact same lathe with the extension bed. That list provided by Bob Vaughn is a great list for things you can turn between the centers without a chuck (not all of them, mind you but quite a few).

The main thing to take away from this so far is sharp tools are of paramount importance - that cannot be stressed enough. Of course, you picked up on the mantra of practice, practice, and practice some more.

Happy turning!

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
There are several "web sites" that show a diy type Wolverine setup. I don't recall the book title, but Ernie Conover has plans for building a similar setup. I made one out of plywood and other stuff in the shop. Instructions were from "Around the Wood" web site (basically the Wolverine setup, also.

Hope this helps as much as it has me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS