Easy trick to fit Stanley 92 shoulder plane blade in a honing guide

Scott H

Scott
User
Was sharpening up my stanley #92 blade today and thought maybe this has a chance of being useful to someone.

It is hard to grab the blade in some side clamping honing guides at the right protrusion amount because of where the neck starts. Lego pieces are very consistent and square and come in a whole bunch of sizes. You can use them to transmit the clamping force to the narrower part of the blade while still keeping it square in the jig.

2021-08-10.jpeg

Scott H

Scott
User
What brand/model is that blade guide?

Richard Kell No. 2 Large honing jig. I ordered from Highland Woodworking. Link here, have to select No. 2

I like it a lot, kind of spendy but it works great for chisels, block plane blades, spokeshave blades, etc. I have one of the cheap Eclipse style guides, but, I don't know if it's just mine but it has a lot of trouble trouble gripping chisels in the chisel part, maybe a poor casting or too much paint in the dovetails. This is nice for narrow chisels too because it provides 3 points of contact due to the 2 wheels. Also nice for chisels with thick sides like firmer chisels or construction chisels.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You always have to file the dovetail groove in those cheap guides. But that’s all I have ever used. Just have to know how to tune them up.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ok, I think I can make that for about $30 in materials. I like to make my tools as much as possible.

Scott H

Scott
User
You always have to file the dovetail groove in those cheap guides. But that’s all I have ever used. Just have to know how to tune them up.

I will have to try that. I found some videos online that all have similar advice, now that you mentioned it. I've happy with my setup but it'd be great to be able to just modify a $10-15 guide to give to a friend that occasionally needs to sharpen chisels for home repair projects, etc.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I will have to try that. I found some videos online that all have similar advice, now that you mentioned it. I've happy with my setup but it'd be great to be able to just modify a $10-15 guide to give to a friend that occasionally needs to sharpen chisels for home repair projects, etc.
I have given a few to friends.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS