Eastern White Pine (EWP)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I recently got some EWP from the Hardwood Store (20 bf 4/4, 10' x 8"). It was advertised as "white pine, knotty" so I wasn't suprised when it was delivered a few days ago. The knots are grouped in clusters and there's clear wood in between them (42-46" maximum). That'll probably work for a smaller project but there's still gonna be some waste in that 20 bf if I want to use only the clear wood. I allowed for about 20-30% waste and it was was only $1.35/bf so it's not painful to lose some.

Lowe's has clear white pine but I don't know if it's EWP.

emichael

eric
User
EWP typically grows that way, with branches in whorls around the trunk with clear lengths between the branch clusters. I heard the location of the branch groups represent one year's vertical growth. A Lowes employee told me their pine was Western Sugar Pine.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Lowes carries a few different species of pine. I make quite a few products using 2x8 and 2x10 from Lowes and they are southern yellow pine.
The 2x6 from Lowes is only listed as SPF, so it's hard to know for sure, but there is a noticeable difference in color and 'flaws'.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Lowes carries a few different species of pine. I make quite a few products using 2x8 and 2x10 from Lowes and they are southern yellow pine.
The 2x6 from Lowes is only listed as SPF, so it's hard to know for sure, but there is a noticeable difference in color and 'flaws'.

Thanks Mark. I was talking about the "finish grade" lumber at Lowe's, not their construction lumber.

SPF is spruce/pine/fir. So it could be any of them.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I got 20 bf of EWP (knotty); 4/4 boards (3) 8"w x 10' long = 30 feet and sectioned them somewhat between the knots to get fairly clear wood with only a few knots. Probably got 65-75% useable wood that's not entirely clear.

P1010021.png

Some knots in this piece but they're pretty solid.

P1010022.png

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Clear EWP is pretty rare, for sure. Picking through the racks at the big boxes is a ritual I seldom enjoy.
I’ve got a ton of sawmilled 1” Yellow Pine that is very pretty, tho, and if it never becomes the flooring I bought it to be will keep me supplied with some great furniture lumber for a long time!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Clear EWP is pretty rare, for sure. Picking through the racks at the big boxes is a ritual I seldom enjoy.
I’ve got a ton of sawmilled 1” Yellow Pine that is very pretty, tho, and if it never becomes the flooring I bought it to be will keep me supplied with some great furniture lumber for a long time!

Christian Becksvoort told me that he has no problem finding clear EWP in 6-10' lengths. He lives in Maine though, a major source for EWP lumber.

Last edited:

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Christian Becksvoort told me that he has no problem finding clear EWP in 6-10' lengths. He lives in Maine though, a major source for EWP lumber.
I find my best lumber at a couple sawyers that have access to some big, older trees - waiting to pick up some sweet large cherry slabs later this year for about half the retail cost.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS