East Carolina new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Hi, all, I've been a member since March '09 but I've only really been a consistent lurker here since the beginning of the year, and feel like it's time I introduce myself :)

I've been an eastern NC native my entire life. I was born in Fayetteville, spent a few years in Kinston and Wallace, but I consider Wilmington to be my home. Right now I live in Greenville while attending East Carolina University, and I've got about one more year left before I graduate with a degree in Engineering.

I've loved tools and shops my whole life; when I was young my brother and I would sneak into the garage where my dad kept all of his tools and we had a great time. Apparently, our definition of "having a great time" was the same as my Dad's definition of "wreaking havoc", so he eventually walled off his tools and padlocked the door!

I'm married to the most beautiful girl on the planet (Chelsea), and we have the cutest little 17 month old daughter on the planet (Hailey), and we have a black lab, Lilly, who, as you may have guessed, is the best dog on the planet. :gar-Bi

About a year ago we bought a house here in Greenville with a nice fenced in back yard, and a two car garage with high ceilings. My wife said from the very beginning that she knew I wanted to 'set up shop' and that she never had any aspirations of parking the car in the garage. Told you she was the best wife on the planet! :)

I put up a 10x14 shed in the backyard for our riding lawnmower and yard tools, as well as lumber storage, leaving the garage (16x28 )for my shop area.

Since the beginning of 2010 I've purchased or have been given:

Kreg jig
Delta drill press $150 from Lowes
Delta 14" bandsaw $150 from Lowes
Ridgid R4511 Granite top Hybrid saw $299
60 gallon air compressor (free!)
1 hp dust collector (also free :)
starter set of chisels (Irwin/marples blue handles)

I've been looking all over the east coast for one of the Dewalt DW735 planers on clearance at home depot.... Let me know if you've know of one! I'll pay for it over the phone, you can pick it up and run boards through it until I get to your place!

To finish off my basic tools I need some handplanes - don't mind if they need to be shown some love, a jointer, planer, and a few other things.

I'm pretty much a total newbie when it comes to woodworking, but I want to learn.

If anyone is in the Greenville area and has tips on tools, resources, places to get wood locally, etc, I'm all ears and would be more than thankful.

Thanks for a great forum,

Ben

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Ben and thanks for the great introduction!

You have been busy so far this year equipping your new shop. Some great deal there on some nice stuff that serve you very well.

Jump right in and as you know there are plenty of folks with the same woodworking interests here and always willing to lend a hand.

Post often and by all means have fun making sawdust!

Wayne

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Ben! Glad you decided to speak up! There are many great woodworkers in your area and help is only for the asking.

Yep, sounds like you have the best wife, BTW:icon_thum

Barbara

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Ben,

Welcome. Glad you decided to jump in and start posting. Always good to have another woodworker joining in the mix.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the site. I live just down the road from you (in Chocowinity). If you need anything, just let me know.

Ernie

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Ernie, your work on your website is wonderful, and your wife does amazing painting, too. Nice to know there's someone local to me :)

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Welcome Ben. I'm just up the road from you in Ahoskie. Drop by some time and I might have a plane or two you might be interested in and an older Rockwell lathe.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Welcome! I'm 20 min. east of you in little Washington. I'm not sure about Greenville, but there are a few sources of wood in this area, one about 8.mi east of me. You'll need to find that planer however.

Sully

New User
jay
Welcome. I'm also close by in Washington. If you're ever over this way, stop in for a shop visit.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Ben. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Sounds like you have a wonderful family and the makings of a wonderful shop. :icon_thum I would definitely go by Ernie, Larry and Alan's shops. They are three great woodworkers. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I'm not terribly far down the road from you, but am relocating to Raleigh soon. This is a wonderful group of folks and it's great to have you here. :eek:ccasion1

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Welcome to the site Ben. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Sounds like you have a wonderful family and the makings of a wonderful shop. :icon_thum I would definitely go by Ernie, Larry and Alan's shops. They are three great woodworkers. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I'm not terribly far down the road from you, but am relocating to Raleigh soon. This is a wonderful group of folks and it's great to have you here. :eek:ccasion1

I used to live right off of Gordon Rd. in north Wilmington. Wrightsville Beach was a regular spot for me. But, hey, Raleigh is closer than Wilmington :) Oh yeah, and Bas said that until you get things set up in Raleigh you can use his shop and tools all you want. hehehe

Welcome Ben, In case you didn't know... we love shop pics:banana: Jim

Jim, I promise that as soon as I have anything that closely resembles a shop, I'll get some pictures up :)

Honestly, I'm taking six courses this semester, so shop organization and setup is moving along at a glacial pace.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Well Welcome Welcome,

Glad you became more active. This is a great site and many friends can be made through this site.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Ben. I live in the suburb of Greenville, called Winterville. As you have found out, other than Lowes and HD, there are not a lot of places around here to find tools for our obsession. As for lumber; there is a place halfway between Greenville and Vanceboro on Highway 43 called Calico Custom Lumber, at the intersection of 43 and 102. Behind his brick house is a large barn with lots of lumber from Cypress, Pine, some Oak, Walnut, Jatoba, Maple. His inventory changes all the time, depending on what he is cutting on his portable sawmill, and the stock is air dried only. No drying kiln here. Good excuse to buy a moisture meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS