Earth Quake in North Carolina !??

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Wow, I knew North Carolina was "shakin' it up" but an Earthquake ? (5.1) hmmm decent size

Maybe it is because too many of you are making Shaker tables. ... :D

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
It was an interesting experience. My wife and I were on different floors of the house when we felt it here in the Raleigh area. I was upstairs and my first thought was something rather large is running across the roof. The house shook for a few seconds and then it was over -- before either of us understood what had happened. No damage, thankfully.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Couple of small cracks in drywall seams in ceiling in great room. I was busy cooking biscuits and wife came into kitchen and said "What was that?" I replied, "What are you talking about?" Daughter and SIL are staying at cabin the the mountains, about 20 miles from epicenter. Said the whole house moved, but apparently no damage. Son and his extended family are at the beach (Oak Island), and they felt it.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was just waking up when it hit. Our old, 2-story house did a good bit of shaking, but there isn't any damage as far as I can tell. One of our coworkers lives in Pilot Mountain, but she said that she didn't feel anything

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depend how it shakes. I grew up in California. There the hard shift type were the ones that really damaged things

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I thought our washing machine had too many clothes in it and was causing the shaking. Few minutes later my wife said several of her friends were saying there was an earthquake.
Funny how I felt it and she didn’t. We were sitting in the same room. I guess the couch had better cushion than my chair. Lol

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Everything in my fridge was shaking making a heck of a noise. The dog and cat were going nuts also.

Red

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
I slept through it (late night). My parents live a few miles south of me and they felt it. We are down near the SC border.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife told me to quit moving her chair, Funny that, I was in the kitchen making breakfast and she was at her computer in the den about 50 feet apart. I didn't feel anything but she felt her office chair move.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Seems to depend house to house. Mine shook pretty hard, but next door did not. We are probably sitting on some ledge and they are not. Last one I was in was in Maryland. I was in a office stair case and a horrible metallic crash. I thought the stairs were collapsing so I think I touched two treads getting out three floors. Engineer said it was the upper case "bouncing" but all was well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS