Earlex HV5500 HVLP Spraying System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
It's definitely a good deal in my opinion. I got mine for the same price through Amazon but had to purchase the 1.5 mm needle separately. I've only used it once but it got high marks by FWW and it was very easy to use. It's certainly a great entry level system.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
How much of a PIA is it to clean up?

and when you turn on the turbine, does the gun constantly blow air or only when you pull the trigger?

mbromley

New User
Bromley
It's a leaker style so it constantly blows air. I thought I would hate this as I have experience with conventional HVLPs for painting cars but I really don't notice it. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to clean at least with water based products. I'm not exactly looking forward to clean up with oil based products. It's simple and tool free to remove the cap and needle for a quick wipe down.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Thats about the normal price Mike. Very good set up. I used mine so much I burned it up. If the correct paint is used and thined properly it will handle that also with a 2.0 needle. I still have the extra needles if you decide to get one

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pretty standard price at $299 (but $368 at HD).

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ea55000/

I have the earlier 5000 model and also purchased the 1.0mm and 1.5mm needles for woodworking finishes. I have sprayed shellac and oil based finishes like Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish but not paints. Thorough flushing/rinsing/cleanup is easy with DNA or MS and it doesn't take long but you'll use more solvent for cleanup than actual spraying. It's a great little unit that has performed well for me.

Here are some of the finer details pros/cons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehXSNzqlpE

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Wayne yours is not a 5500. Yes it is much better but it is also a 500+ machine

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I just saw Wayne's post about the one on sale at Highland! Wow, for the same price it seems like another step up! I don't know how much of a pain it is to use the bleeder type vs the non-bleeder type. Also, Earlex is always at the K'por Extravaganza, so maybe at this time it'd be even a better deal to pick one up there? Any thoughts? Anyone buy one in the last couple years? Better deal to wait for the Extravaganza?

BTW, I did see the 5500 at Klingspor was the same price, but it didn't include the bonus needle which by the Earlex website is an extra $39 value!

Bottom line: by now or wait for the BIG EVENT in the end of October?

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Klingspor is pretty good - you could always ask them to MATCH the deal. Never hurts to ask. Since several vendors are offering the same deal, they may be able to do so as well. Always good to support a sponsor - after al, the sponsors support us.

photostu

New User
Stuart
Can anyone comment on the diffs between the Sprayport and the HV5500? From a sale price stand point, the Sprayport seems like a no-brainer... someone talk me out of this deal :)

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
someone talk me out of this deal :)
Go ahead and buy it. You know you want it. In fact, you deserve it! You won't be happy until you have it. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. From now, every project, no matter how well executed, will have the curse of "it would have looked SOOO much better if I had only bought it". Plus, nobody in the woodworking community will take you seriously until you buy it.

You're welcome. :gar-Bi

Enabling extravagant tool purchases since 2007.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Well, after starting this thread I've changed my mind....I think! Earlier this year I was at a workshop at Phil's place and remember now (after another offline conversations with Phil) How simple it was to use and clean his LVLP spry guns. I already have a compressor with more than enough capacity to run the LVLP gear. So with much less cash layout I believe I will be going with the Sprayit equipment like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4S99L2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The Gravity feed equipment is much simpler to clean up and since I already have the compressor, it's a simple decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS