Earlex 5000 for staining a fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
Would anyone use the Earlex to stain a fence?

I've been reading allot of reviews on the Earlex and have heard great things. I also need to have my fence stained. We were going to just hire someone to do it but thought I may be able to save some money and get a new tool out of the deal.

While I realize that the Earlex would have no problem actually running the stain through it, am I asking too much of it to a fence. Mind you its not a long fence but my concern is the small container.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
What kind of stain do you want to use. Is it one of the deck stains. If so they are usually thicker than the water based stains/dyes and the furniture oil stains. In that case I'd suggest you test out the viscosity before trying the Earlex.

A possible alternative is to rent one of the commerical airless sprayers that let you use the stain/paint container.

Dan C.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
What kind of stain do you want to use. Is it one of the deck stains. If so they are usually thicker than the water based stains/dyes and the furniture oil stains. In that case I'd suggest you test out the viscosity before trying the Earlex.

A possible alternative is to rent one of the commercial airless sprayers that let you use the stain/paint container.

Dan C.

I did not have a stain picked out yet. Can anyone recomend a stain that would work best for this?

I was hoping to be able to purchase the Earlex for the fence and then have it to finish other projects.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can probably spray it, but I expect you will need to get the larger needle set. As for recommendations on stain, I have used both Sherwin Williams and Cabot with good results.

M

McRabbet

Ryan,

I think Pete meant a pressurized tank-style garden sprayer. I have used one successfully in the past to apply stain and also wood preservative on a deck and railings. It worked fine, but obviously, it becomes a dedicated sprayer for this type application, but they are pretty cheap. The challenge is getting a uniform spray pattern and dealing with the overspray. Wear a mask for sure!

rywilson

New User
Ryan
Ryan,

I think Pete meant a pressurized tank-style garden sprayer. I have used one successfully in the past to apply stain and also wood preservative on a deck and railings. It worked fine, but obviously, it becomes a dedicated sprayer for this type application, but they are pretty cheap. The challenge is getting a uniform spray pattern and dealing with the overspray. Wear a mask for sure!

:gar-Bi

I thought he was talking about this
http://www.fiveminutefence.com/

Glennbear

Glenn
I have used the Wagner airless sprayer to paint my entire house , fences etc in NJ and here in VA I painted my shop inside and out. I am pleased with the result. With a hopper that holds about 2 gallons and a 25' hose it is not really suited to very small projects but IMHO it cannot be beat for larger projects. Gleem paint co. has them new and recon. and they are also available from the BORG:

http://www.gleempaint.com/paint-crew-770.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS