E-mail sent to NCWW web master address, response needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd be happy to reply this one, but given that this is related to moderation, perhaps one of the mods can take it.
cleardot.gif
Don De Jong

to webmaster

Hi,

This is the second time I have been extremely tempted to delete my membership. But I can't figure out how to do, so I'm still here. The first time was a while back when I posted a craig's list link that I thought NCWWers might be interested in. Well the next guy got right on my case for just putting the link and not the whole listing. Sorry for trying to be helpful. It was insulting, so I got upset and edited out every post I had made that could still be edited. I tried to delete myself, too.

Today Ernest Miller posted "How to play the guitar." On the surface, it's very impressive. But a North Korean girl in kindergarten playing virtuoso guitar screams propaganda to me. So I said so. Everybody else is oohing and aahing about the performance (which I agree appears to be quite amazing), nobody seems to give a hoot about how this could be. A little girl is being denied "little girl-hood" for propaganda purposes. To my way of thinking, posting a link to that (propaganda) video is as much a political statement as my coming out and saying so. I don't fault Ernie for sharing something he was impressed with. I just think it should be recognized for what it is, and nobody else seems to recognize that.

I removed my post, which had been edited down to something I wouldn't have even bothered to say. If you want to remove me from your membership, that's fine. Or you could tell me how to do it. Just in case.

I think NCWW has a lot of good things going on, and you folks that keep it running do a great job. I mostly just needed to blow off a little steam, and I don't know where I can do that without getting my post edited. Sorry for the rant.

Don DeJong

b4man

New User
Barbara
I don't feel qualified to answer this guy because I didn't see either post he's referring to before it was deleted. However, there is something about the way he sounds to me that rings of some validity.
It sounds like another slippery slope of moderating opinions that 'might' be contrary to ours. It's like we might as well say " If you post anything that could spawn an argument it will be deleted". Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Barbara

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
This was the original post. I moderated it and stand by my decision as I felt like it was the proper thing to do. I'll reply to him.

"Yup, she's good. Makes a great propaganda video for the "Dear Leader." I hate to be cynical, but that little girl has no choice about whether or not she gets to be a little girl."

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Seems someone is a little impulsive. Don't know him or recall much of his posts I could find.
I didn't find his first example particularly insulting - yes there are nice ways of saying anything, sometimes they are overlooked. I took the reply he found insulting as someone 'suggesting' that he post more than just a link. Personally to each their own - and their own style of post. I don't know what saying -I found his on Craigs list and thought someone might be interested would have really added.

I don't know what the second thing was all about. I couldn't read the deletes. It seems some people were moderated and this one took offense. I doubt any moderators did more than try to calm waters. Its what they do. And thank you to all of them for that!

I'm with Barbara that it is yet another slippery slope. Nothing easy or to be taken lightly about moderating others. Some posts can't be effectively moderated. Moderating any post changes it. He made his decision to just delete it instead of rewording, it seems.

I know I've learned a lot about self moderating, and my words posted count is nothing compared to my words typed count.
Perhaps it is time to remind people that THEY are the best moderators available to their own post. My pre-moderating comes down to-
If it doesn't need to be said, then it shouldn't. If it is ambiguously worded, then rethink and retype it. If you wouldn't say it in front of your mother (proudly) then why post it in public. If it is challenging/argumentative/embarrassing/etc and you feel it needs to be said, then remember the pm instead of a public posting. Above all be nice and remember we are all members of the same community.

I don't know that he wants it, but I'm not in favor or asking people to stay when they say they want to go. I didn't quite understand the "just in case" line in his email.
If he wants to delete his membership, I'd be in favor of letting him or helping him. If he decides he wants to come back later then he should know what to expect.

Glennbear

Glenn
"so I got upset and edited out every post I had made that could still be edited. I tried to delete myself, too." As Andrew alluded to I think the problem is Don is rather short tempered and acts in haste. I agree that the action taken was proper to delete a political statement about the child's country.

TracyP

Tracy
I sent my email reply shortly after saying I would: Here is my reply

Don, I don't remember the craigs list thing and cant reply to that. I am the one that moderated your post and bill clemmon's post. I felt like they violated the site policies of no politics. I did not mean anything personal by it. With all the turmoil in that region right now you may be right about propaganda but it is political and that is the only reason I deleted it. Ernie is a musician and that is most likely the only reason he posted it. Not for political reasons. I value you as a member and did not mean to offend. Just trying to administer the site policies.

Sincerely,
TracyP

And now his:

Tracy,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your position, and I probably should have just ignored the whole thing. My real concern is for that little girl, and I can't do anything about her situation anyway. That's what is so frustrating.

I appreciate the time and energy you invest in NCWW, and I apologize for making that job even more difficult. Thanks.

Don D

I think all said, he understands. May have ended in a positive note.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would say the matter is now closed and on a very positive note. Good job by all involved.

b4man

New User
Barbara
@Tracy,
I think your explanation to Don was well said. I also think what I read in his reply to your explanation is what I sensed in his first reply, a frustrated nice guy! Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Barbara

TracyP

Tracy
@Tracy,
I think your explanation to Don was well said. I also think what I read in his reply to your explanation is what I sensed in his first reply, a frustrated nice guy! Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Barbara

:gar-Bi:gar-Bi Thanks Barbara.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sense his frustration may be that of an expatriate of that region with either first or second hand knowledge of the conditions there. There are very few ways one could comment on that issue without being political or controversial. I'm sure Ernie didn't intend to open up the worm can he did, but it goes to show the importance of attempting to resolve every moderation issue in a diplomatic manner. I believe Tracy may have saved us the loss of a member and gained some loyalty from them at the same time.
Ups to ya, Tracy. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
TRACY, that's so well worded that I copied it into a Word doc. So don't be surprised if you see it again. :icon_thum
Thanks,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS