DW735 - dewalt 13 inch planer main motor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKHam

Bradley
User
i did a quick search of previous threads and didn't see anything about the main motor dying....i say dying but at least not working. the blower motor still runs when i turn it on but nothing from the cutter head or the rollers.

I've read thru some strings on lumberjocks and repairing the motor myself seems painful. The only external item that can be checked easily are the brushes and they don't show signs of cracking or heat damage.

I called dewalt and she quoted me a max price of $299. they don't do estimates however. so if i take it there, i can't opt out, they'll fix it and i have to pay. then they only give me a 90 day warranty on a 10 year old machine.

i like the machine and would probably get another just like it at $500-600 new, depending on where you buy.

any dewalt planer motor experts out there with advice before i go drop a lot of money?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
There's only one motor in a DW735 planer. If the blower runs, you likely have a broken gear or chain driving the cutter head and rollers. It will be much cheaper to fix than a motor replacement. Only dis-assembly will tell you what is broken.

Charley

BKHam

Bradley
User
the belt had been chewed up by the roller drive chain over the years and was off the track, what was left of it. it was easier to get to than i thought thru side panels.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
So a replacement belt will be a lot cheaper than the motor that you thought you needed. I've had good luck buying parts from www.ereplacementparts.com but you may have another favorite source. Maybe you should order a spare too.

Next time, take the covers off before deciding what is broken. It usually saves a lot of green stuff $$.

Charley

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Just FYI, the 735 uses a stretch belt. Don't buy the "special tool" from DeWalt. Go to Advance Auto, AutoZone, or whatever and get a cheap stretch belt tool.

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
There was also an issue with gears on the DW735 ~12 years ago. The DW repair place in Raleigh should be able to tell you what you need. I don't think it's a very expensive repair and while you have it apart it's one of those "might as well" things.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
What Charley said! I've replaced a broken sprocket on mine and a belt. Belt can take some doing. Congrats!!

:notworthy:

There's only one motor in a DW735 planer. If the blower runs, you likely have a broken gear or chain driving the cutter head and rollers. It will be much cheaper to fix than a motor replacement. Only dis-assembly will tell you what is broken.

Charley

BKHam

Bradley
User
i've ordered a belt and it will be a little challenging to get on with the sprockets and chains for the rollers in the way. thanks for the advice on the stretch belt tool.

What Charley said! I've replaced a broken sprocket on mine and a belt. Belt can take some doing. Congrats!!

:notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS