DW 788 opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
:wconfused::help:I have an opportunity to pick up a used (hardly) Dewalt scroll saw (DW788 I think - does Dewalt have other models?). From what I hear, the 788 is a good machine. Can you hardcore scrollers confirm that? :help:

I also know it is a pricey buy new, but what is a fair price for a used one?:dontknow::icon_scra I think it would be a nice add to the shop since I do small scale stuff like boxes and toys.

I'd like to offer the owner a fair deal since he's offered me a nice stack of walnut for nothing. Thank heaven he prefers more space in the garage for Harleys than lumber and tools.:eusa_danc

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.:eek:ccasion1

sawduster

New User
Robert
788 is the only one they make and I would not trade mine for anything !! :banana:
A great saw in my opinion ! New they are about $500 w/o the stand
Look on the yellow motor label for " type 1 " or " type 2 "
Type one was made on this side of the pond ( Canada ) , though not anymore.....if it is a type one it is well worth whatever you pay for it !! If it is a type 2 , then be sure to check the flatness of the deck . The types 2's had a run there were there was some " cupping " resulting in a less-than-flat deck . I have one of each and they are both quality machines though the type one is a little more " solid "
Turn it on, stand a nickel on end and it should not fall over :icon_thum
It is not unusual to find these in the $300 to $350 range with a stand
IMHO if it is a type 1 with a stand then $350 would be a great deal
If you don't want it then I'll take it :gar-La;

PM me if you want specifics

Hope this helps

Charlottend

New User
Brian
I just picked one up on CL recently (gloat worthy despite the rust). I don't know enough about it, but everything I've read and heard here says it's a great machine.

The saw and stand set was available new (type 2) from Grizzly a few weeks ago for $450. Not sure if that deal is still going on. Amazon on the other hand had the saw for $615 and the stand for $65. Hope that helps.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMHO the Dewalt is the best saw on the market in the mid price range. I have one and just love it. If you can get a used one in the $300 price range or lower I would grab it. You will not be sorry.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Much to my great sadness, it was a Delta scroll saw, not the Dewalt. But I graciously accepted and if the wood gods ever see fit, I'll get another shot at a better machine. For now, I'll learn how to scroll saw with it.

The bright side of the dark clouds was the nice pile 50+ year old rough sawn walnut, the nice tight grain 6/4 clear pine, the 12" wide red oak. he also threw in a bunch of old tools which he said use or dispose of (B&D jigsaw, craftsman sander and router, router table, Craftsman smooth plane, and a 4" benchtop jointer). He also included a bunch of scrolling patterns and a couple of books (a free to a good home).

All in all, a good deal for just striking up a conversation on an airplane flight.

cskipper

Cathy
True, it is fiction without pictures. Don't be too diestress, I have done a lot of scrolling on a Delta.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Just to prove it happened.

The rust cleaned up easily. The stand was a nice bonus - the prior owner is an electrical engineer with an eye toward detail. It will serve as a nice learner, but I think I need to add some wheels to make it mobile in the shop.

New_saw.JPG

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice score....

As a experinced scroller let me tell you:

- Start with simple patterns

- Go slow. Feed the wood to the blade. Don't push

- Feed the work so the blade is to the right side (outside) of finished piece

- Use ONLY quality blades. Blades from the BORG or local hardware need to stay in the store.
I recommend flying dutchman blades. I get mine:
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Scott

Thank you for the advice. When you say "Feed the work so the blade is to the right side (outside) of finished piece" what do you mean?

Jonathan

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Scott

Thank you for the advice. When you say "Feed the work so the blade is to the right side (outside) of finished piece" what do you mean?

Jonathan

What this means is that the scrape piece that you are cutting out will always be on the left side of the blade - in other words you want to go clockwise when cutting so that you will get a smoother cut - This applies to most all cuttings - you will go the opposite direction if you are doing inlays etc. But if you are using spirals this application does not apply - spirals lets you go in all directions and you will not have a smooth cut as you will with a straight blade - spirals are good for portrait type cuttings

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
And the clouds parted....

Having never used a scroll saw before, I don't have a clue, but that cleared it up. Thank you.

Jonathan

cskipper

Cathy
Cutting to the right side also gives you an opportunity to sand up to the line. It's easier to sand down than to glue up/reshape the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS