DW 735 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bnance

New User
Bobby
This morning my DW 735 was on with the on/off switch off. The machine was off when I left the shop yesterday. Has this happened to others?

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Sounds like the switch shorted.

Also gives a good reminder as to why we should unplug our equipment when servicing them.

BThompson

New User
Bill
....And why not to leave something on equipment. I have never heard of something like this but a great reminder to me to move my stuff!

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Sounds like a shorted switch...by chance did you have a thunderstorm come through?
If so, that could be the cause.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
It is possible that something has restricted the movement of the switch contacts -- either damage to the switch mechanism or contacts or possibly a switch that was not fully switched off (a possibility with many styles of switch). If the contacts are open but very close to one another the device may be off initially and then later power on when either a change in temperature or an induced vibration leads to the closing of the contacts.

If the DW735 has had a lot of on-off cycles then it may be time to replace the switch as switching motors is rough on switch contacts as motors draw tremendous amperage on initial power on and on power off they generate a large inductive voltage spike, both of which will slowly degrade the switch contacts with each on-off cycle. If the planer has only seen light use then keep an eye out for any future issues and if you encounter any further issues then go ahead and replace the switch on a preventive basis. But it is possible that the switch may have just not been fully in the off position internally, especially if it was switched off somewhat gingerly versus being slapped off quickly.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Never occurred to me about a shorted switch. I try to remember to unplug everything because a of lightning strike.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
A blast of compressed air sometimes works wonders.

Ah the old DW735. I just did some heart surgery on my old planer. I always check the roller speed rate gear(photo 2 on left) that operates outside the planer with a toggle switch that tells you normal rate and finish rate speed. This is something you change ONLY while it is running. Strange.

If you are like me, I don't switch it very often and I don't recall that it made a difference if you take a light cut. This is the loudest machine in my shop and taking a healthy cut on some sugar maple makes that thing scream.

Back to the switch. Along the pathway to the motor from the red pull / push switch is an interrupter safety switch. When the owner puts the lid on the machine the on/off switch will work. There is a visible detent hole that you can wedge a piece of wood in to make the line hot again.

For those repair nuts like me I wedge a small piece of wood in the detent opening so I can see what is happening. I know this sounds reckless but at the time that I did this I was searching for where the dust chips were coming from that filled up the chamber, made the adjustment posts clog and yes sir MADE THE CONTACT POINTS ON THE ON/OFF SWITCH WORK IMPROPERLY.

There was so much dust and wood chips in the chamber the switch did not work correctly.

I would do the following:
1. unplug the little beast.
2. remove the 4 cover screws and lift it off.
3. From the inside just a simple look around the back of the switch area. If there happens to be chips all around the contacts, this might be your solution. Clean it up.

If there are tons of wood chips in the chamber-- you most likely have a crack some place in your impeller cover.

I would trouble shoot the switch. I hesitate to suggest doing what I do but you'll need to get a look when its operating.

If the worst pans out and you need a switch, I have had good luck with Eplacement supplies.

good luck

planer_knives_mar_2018_2_.JPG

planer_knives_mar_2018_10_.JPG

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When I leave my shop, all of the circuit breakers get turned off, except for the lighting circuits. I too have had tools decide to run when I wasn't there, and also had the electrical outlet for my radial arm saw suddenly arc and burst into flames 2 days after lightning had struck my shop. Fortunately I was sitting at the bench studying a pattern with nothing running except the lights when this happened. I would not have a shop today if it had happened when I wasn't there. Because I was there when it happened, the damage was limited to the box, outlet, plug on the saw power cable, and a scorch mark up the wall.

The lightning strike 2 days earlier had taken 16' out of the top of a pine tree that was located 4' away from the front of the shop, blew two holes in the shop roof overhang, and arc damaged two connections in the shop power panel.
The 22" diameter pine tree died the following year. The lightning strike had ripped a 2" wide slot in the tree bark the full length of the tree trunk.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors