Mike
Corporate Member
Something like this?

workbench-live-edge-slab.jpg

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Not going to tell Dan I can change mine in about 40 mins.....with time for a cup of coffee
:rotflm:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
This dire tale made me go take a look at my 735 to see what I might run into when I finally need to flip the blades. Luckily (I hope) mine turns out to be new enough that it came with Torx screws and not the Allen screws. I didn't try to loosen any of the blade screws today thinking that it's better to save that for when I actually need to do so.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Just so I can derail EVERY thread I touch -
Mike you said "Torx is better than allen head but hex is much stronger than either."
What do you mean "hex is much stronger?"

I can translate more torque into a joint with a TORX drive than with a external hex drive.

Additionally - if you want an internal hex drive that is stronger - ask for Unbrako or SPX screws - they are manufactured to a higher strength than a taiwan or China SHCS (socket head cap screw

I think what Mike meant about being stronger is most allen head socket capscrews are grade 8 ( as strong as you can buy )while many others are grade 5 or less or possibly no grade.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
I started reading this thread and then thought, will I have this problem too? I just bought a 735. Is this an issue with older units and the correction has been made on newer ones like mine? If not, I need to pull those screws now and put in some anti-seize lubricant.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think what Mike meant about being stronger is most allen head socket capscrews are grade 8 ( as strong as you can buy )while many others are grade 5 or less or possibly no grade.
Right Chris - Grade 8 for S.A.E (inch) parts or 12.9 for metric, but if you can purchase Unbrako parts they will be stronger yet (14.9 in metric)

but even so, the drive angle on an internal or external hex will be a 60 degree drive angle - the TORX is closer to 5-10 degrees... meaning the torque you apply to the screw translates into drive torque, not slipping off (rounding out the external heax, or "camming out" the internal drive...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I had the same problem with my DeWalt 734 planer (screws way over-torqued from factory and had to use the chisel to loosen 4 of them). I did find the impact driver worked well for subsequent blade changes. I wonder if the replacement kit will fit the 734? I am pretty sure they are the M6 screws.

I have had good luck using the blue loc-tite to stop the screws from vibrating loose, but not stopping removal.

Go

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
This dire tale made me go take a look at my 735 to see what I might run into when I finally need to flip the blades. Luckily (I hope) mine turns out to be new enough that it came with Torx screws and not the Allen screws. I didn't try to loosen any of the blade screws today thinking that it's better to save that for when I actually need to do so.

That's good logic in my way of thinking. Hey you might even win the lottery and buy a new planer. Maybe a surprise tax return and buy a spiral head before the blade change. Just kidding. I think the Torx screws should be easier as a rule. There's always the possibility of one of the screws being a bear so I would store some of this technical info from Hank for the future.

As you read the responses on the topic(not thread departures), you'll see the radically different experiences people have had dealing with blade changes. If you expand the search you will find out why Dewalt had to come up with a "re-fit" on the original design. To add insult to injury, I am surprised that Dewalt would charge a person 33.00 to get screws in that will work properly over the life of the tool. At a 1.35 each, I would expect the screws to jump out of the bag and install themselves to correct torque setting. Another thing: Dewalt will sell individual count screws only from their local repair sites(ie Raleigh). At the time of my troubles they only had 5ea in stock so that didn't help.

If I had the Torx screws already, I'd sure wait. In the mean time I'd keep an eye out for some spare screws of equal quality for down the road.

good luck
Dan

Lowlander

New User
Chris
I had recently reversed the blades in my new/used dewalt planer and ran into the same issue. I ended up using air impact on all the machine screws with a high quality Allen bit, there was no way they would have been removed with the stock tool.

Andy E.

New User
Andy
I have had my 735 about 6 months and getting ready to flip mine, this has been very informative and great news !

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have had my 735 about 6 months and getting ready to flip mine, this has been very informative and great news !

Andy I am assuming "flip" means you are going to turn the blades around? If you need any help you can pm or call. I am up in north Durham.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS