DW 735 Byrd Shelix conversion question

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
https://www.holbren.com/byrd-shelix-for-dewalt-planers/

Looking around the web and reading several threads here on the forum about the Byrd Shelix head, I see no mention of the difference in performance but a whole bunch of comments about how frustrating it is to install the cutter with the OEM diameter.

Looking at the Holbren site above, you will see the 2 cutters offered for the DW735.

The smaller cutter assembly fits thru the hole and the OEM diameter does not. The OEM cutter requires removing 40 individual cutters, buying a small inch pound torque wrench and careful fitting of each cutting square.

Help: Please respond only if you have done this conversion.

I am very interested in those who chose the OEM size and had to fit the cutters in place. Those who chose to avoid this additional work I would like to hear how it has performed and if you are satisfied. Also mention if you stumbled on the easier install by luck and not careful choice.

Direction and references to Youtube -- please don't. I have seen and heard my limit there.

Thanks

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan,

I replaces my DW735 head with a shelix in November of 2016. I did not have to remove my cutter heads to put it in place. It was a relatively easy switch but it was tedious. I did find an excellent YouTube video that I used in conjunction with the instructions provided and only got a little stuck once where it was not clear how I should push the old head out of its seat. One other thing, my skills with snap ring pliers were tested and proved lacking but, with patience, I persevered.

It was a vast improvement. It it quieter, it cuts cleaner, and is more efficient (hogs more material).

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I did mine in 2014. I bought it off Amazon and the description says it is the smaller diameter. But at the time I bought it, it didn’t say anything. However, I assume mine is the smaller.

It was very simple and works great. I think it was Phil S that bought it. So he can also speak to it.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
[FONT=&quot]This thing does one thing really well, it prevents you from having to buy and change blades all the time. Honestly a brand new new set of factory blades will give you by far the smoothest finish, too smooth actually in my opinion because you have to open the wood grain up a little for finishing. Since this cutter is durable, one might thing they can take more off in a pass this saving time, not allows the case. The Dewalt planer motor was engineered for the head it was suppose to turn, not this one. I ran white ash through it and found an 8 or 9 inch board should be run no greater than a 32nd at the slow speed. All in all tho this is a good product, just don't think you've just transformed you little bench top planer into an industrial planer. -- review feedback

This is a feedback summary of the Byrd Shelix head for the DW 735.What would the average guy reading this think?

I think its fair to say this person does not have a chance in a technical writing position.

oh well[/FONT]

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I did this conversion a few months ago with the smaller version. I haven't noticed any negatives and several positives due to the change. The install was very easy, I thought. There are several good video's on YouTube to walk you through it.

The review that you posted is right on, the Shelix head doesn't reform the machine into some all powerful planer. You still have to take moderate to light cuts and I do all of mine on the slow speed. What it does do, is make it much quieter (my main reason for getting it) and it stops the spending of money on blades. I work with a lot of QS White Oak and I found that the blades didn't last long at all.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Dan I did the conversion with the older simpler method:

My take - easier install - makes it quieter for sure.

However.... the reason they made the newer OEM version is because of the folowing 2 significant issues (or not so significant depending on how you do your rough/finish milling)

The non OEM version will snipe (not horrible mind you) but also not the perfect non snipe performance of the straight knife original head. It does not appear that there is a correction/adjustment for this. The major reason that Byrd started making the OEM version

The non-OEM version throws off the thickness your taking off scale which when you use the machine you actually get used to using (the scale may be adjustable but I'm just now getting my machines back up and running after a few years in storage so have yet to try this)

So... if you can live with these 2 things, go for the easier install. It does leave a nice cut and the reduction in noise is significant!

Hope this helps

gmakra

New User
George
All thickness planers will snipe and that is a result of simple mechanics.
When a board entering or leaving the machine is not in contact with all rollers it will tip the board up ever so slightly and cause snipe.
And the big advantage to Shelix heads is not having to fool with blade changes which if done correctly involves jigs, dial indicators and alot time and swearing.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
George, yes snipe is natural but ALL machines do not snipe, and most good machines have adjustments you can make to eliminate snipe. The Dewalt I have with the factory straight knife set had no snipe! I’ve adjusted snipe out of many machines.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
The Shelix Head is a great addition to a great planner. I used the you tube link below as a guide to the conversation.

https://youtu.be/23Ek3zXaNsk

Very happy with the conversation and I’ve since added one to my jointer.

Lecil Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS