Dust Removal

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I noticed a few weeks ago someone said they used a leaf blower to get dust out of their shop. Was this a joke, or do you really use a leaf blower to blow the dust out of your shop? Thinking of giving it a try with my sawdust covered shop.

Pop :D

danw

New User
dan
I always do. I open the doors, cut on an exhaust fan, put on a mask and let er rip.

TB2

New User
Kent
Didn’t used to till my wife started helping me. Went to town one day and came back thought the place was on fire.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yup, me too. Every week or so. Two passes at least with time for dust to settle. You will learn what is not tied down on your shelves! Always, full respirator. Clean out cabinets, drawers, tops, inside tools. Raining is a good tip. Had not thought about that. 80V Kobalt.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Yes, works great. Even better if you keep all your parts, accessories, and half-built experiments in those plastic boxes of various sizes on shelves for everything you don't have proper drawers for. Then you can leaf blow without spraying small parts all over (or out of) the shop. And it greatly reduces dust build up to begin with. I often turn on the ceiling fan and a dust collector, in combination with the shop vac blower, for maximum stir and filtration at the same time.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do, because my garage is west facing and leaves etc. blow in as well as an easy sawdust "eliminator" (except when the wind is blowing the wrong way - DO NOT ask how I know this...) - used to do it with the backpack blower, but got my wife an E-Go cordless blower and it is GREAT! no Co2, and just as effective...

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
I do the same thing! Use a Dewalt electric handheld blower, garage doors open, and go for it! Today is a good day as it's lightly raining.....no blow back dust.

djyoungcity

djyoungcity
Corporate Member
I thought I was the the only one who did this. Ryobi 40v blower, with mask on and air filtration system enabled.

The tips on letting the dust settle and try again for a total of 2-3 rounds is key. The dust flies everywhere and will re-settle, but eventually you will get it all.

Much faster than going around with a shop vac in every nook and cranny

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What I want to know is how GOD knows which way I am blowing, because even when I am blowing leaves it seems it is always INTO the wind?! LOL

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't even have a leaf blower, never will. Leaves should lay where they fall, rot, and rejuvenate the soil.
Like Charlie said catch the dust at the source. I'm not even in the same State as him concerning shop dust control, but his example has pushed me closer to cleanliness. Blowing dust everywhere is just insane.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I haven't done it yet but will. I recently got a good cordless leaf blower (Ryobi 18V brushless) which should work well. I collect at the source but I still get dust in the shop. Can't collect effectively from hand held router plus DC doesn't get everything. I can't see how it would work without a large opening - like a garage door - to blow towards but I have that. I may use the DC to suck up as much as possible first and then blow out what remains. I have a good floor sweep (Rockler) and the dust and debris go through a cyclone so I don't have to worry about picking up small scraps. I will be blowing onto the driveway but I need to pressure wash it too.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS