Dust Deputy Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
Is there a particular hose that works well with a dust deputy. I am wanting to use it primarily for a ros, I have a bosch and Milwaukee both 5". I may also use for bandsaw. I was looking at the 5m bosch hose. It appears to be stronger than normal vacuum hoses. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I am hooking it up to a black Friday special ridgid vac, I bought last fall.

Chris

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a Bosch 5 meter hose for smaller tools and a Rigid 20 foot hose for bigger tools and cleaning the shop. Both slip over the inlet to the cyclone well. They are loose until you fire up the shop vac, it pulls them on tight. You will probably need the little adapter for the hose to go to a sander, Amazon sells it as do others. My track saw (DeWalt) works well with the 5 meter hose without an adapter.

I've used two different Rigid vacs with my dust deputy. My older ~8 amp model is now used away from the shop. I wanted a little more suction (not for sanders) and recently got a "6hp" 10A model with a small capacity, I think it's 4 gallon. Doesn't matter because nothing goes there, the cyclone gets almost everything. Occasionally I have to clean the filter but the compartment never gets much of anything in it.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
Guys, please post up pictures of your cyclone setups. I just ordered one and as my space is limited, I'm trying to keep everything as compact as possible. I don't want to drag around a cart with a shop vac and cyclone on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

ck1999

Chris
User
Thanks Jim for reply.

Bryan, I have a small shop as well. I am going to make a vertical rack with a 21x21 foot print. Will try and post pictures this weekend.

Chris

ck1999

Chris
User
I was able to work on the "Cart" some last few days.
dustdeputy21.jpg

dustdeputy11.jpg

I bought some bags for the vacuum, but this model has the intake in the top and not in the lower chamber, so they do not have bags for this model. I may look at upgrading vac depends on how much dust makes it to the filter. I used 3 inch locking swivel casters. I offset the top drum to allow me to have a small shelf to hold my ROS. I am going to put a 1 1/4 wooden dowel on the back between uprights to give me handle hold to move around. I had the hose from the dust deputy come out the back so if I do pull on it a little it will be less likely to tip over.

Anything else i need to consider adding?

Now just need to determine how to hand the bosch hose.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Here's a little cart I made for my shop vac setup with the little Dust deputy. Seems to work fine.

Tom

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cyclone.jpg
    Cyclone.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 286

ck1999

Chris
User
Nice cart Tom. I looked at pictures of that style, however my microshop couldn't fit it. Not sure if the one I built will work. Just tired of all the sawdust/sanding dust.

By the way, I am just down the road from you at McGees xroads.

Chris

JimD

Jim
Senior User
No bag in my shop vac. This isn't a great picture but it will give you the idea. I've since changed it a little to have the vac to dd hookup with 2 inch PVC. I had to heat it up with a heat gun for both the shop vac and dd end but that is simple.

Attachments

• DSCN1700.JPG
    DSCN1700.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 165

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Thanks Chris. I think there's a few of us around here. No I don't have a bag in the vacuum. I've read about others doing that, just haven't myself.

Tom

ck1999

Chris
User
Barry,

I used a 2 inch sweeping elbow. It was too tight of a fit so I used a Disc Sander and sanded the edge of one of the couplings until it fit tight in the hole of the vacuum. All the rest of the pipe is 2 inch PVC and elbows. I'm not sure how yours broke. But I think the bungee cord will hold the top pretty steady. But I also have my vacuum hose coming out of the back so when I pull on the hose it's not pulling the cart forward where It might tip it over

Chris

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Barry,

I used a 2 inch sweeping elbow. It was too tight of a fit so I used a Disc Sander and sanded the edge of one of the couplings until it fit tight in the hole of the vacuum. All the rest of the pipe is 2 inch PVC and elbows. I'm not sure how yours broke. But I think the bungee cord will hold the top pretty steady. But I also have my vacuum hose coming out of the back so when I pull on the hose it's not pulling the cart forward where It might tip it over

Chris

Chris,

The snap-on top of the cyclone with a hose coming out of its center snapped into two pieces. I held it in place with a zip-tie which had slipped out of place without my knowledge. I almost sent Onida Air an email to ask if they would sell me a replacement part. After some thought, I felt they would charge almost as much as a complete cycloone. I ordered the cyclone and a right angle elbow that I plan to use with PVC pipe to replace the hose that placed pressure on the cyclone top and consequently broke it. Thanks for your reply.

ck1999

Chris
User
Coming out of the top you will need a small piece of 2" pvc before the elbow. Elbow is to big to going straight into deputy.

Chris

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
In case you are still looking for examples, here is how I did mine. I made it lower and longer so it would fit under the steps in my garage.
attachment.php

Attachments

• nlh1b2j.jpg
    nlh1b2j.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 329

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
[FONT=&amp]Chris, thanks for providing the impetus for upgrading vacuums with PVC pipe. The use of solid pipe and fittings
produced an appreciable improvement in my shop vacuum's performance.

[/FONT]
attachment.php

Attachments

• 0513171628_EDIT_HDR 1.jpg
    0513171628_EDIT_HDR 1.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 194

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Barry, Good thing Rube Goldberg got his name out there before you built your vac setup. Otherwise, we'd be calling ours "Barry W creations"!

BTW, I'm too shy to post a photo of my rig which wouldn't be nice enough to earn Rube Goldberg status. It does work great but I may need to try this solid pipe thing.

I really like my Dust Deputy. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
. . . . I really like my Dust Deputy. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Tom, I place the Fein Turbo in the same class as the Dust Deputy. They're both great sawdust catchers. Did you notice my photo was taken outside? My shop is not ready for public display at this time.:wink_smil

ck1999

Chris
User
Barry,

It appears that your cart would have center of gravity further to the front? When the Dust Deputy broke did it tip over towards the front. I have made mine to keep it come compact. I was also worried about the piping snagging on something or me bumping into it if it extended out?

Curious if you could move your vacuum backward.

Below is the side profile of the one I made

dustdeputy31.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS