Dust Deputy gloat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I know others got them during the sale also; feel free to add your posts...

I got the DIY. Michael Shelly had some extra vacuum hoses he gave me when I bought some wood from him and I have this large Plano dry box (from the thrift store) that always seems too deep for whatever I put in it. I cut a hole in the side, drilled the bolt holes, squeezed a bead of silicone around and mounted it up:

DustDeputy1.jpg

The "foot" under it that stabilizes it was the miter rip I did on my new Grrr-Ripper last night. :)

Now the obligatory test...

DustDeputy2.jpg

DustDeputy3.jpg

I am quite pleased! :eusa_danc :banana:

Now I need to make some dust...

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Nice use of the "pieces". Save you a lot of dough didn't it. Looks like it works just like the real deal.

Mike

CarvedTones

Andy
Yes, it saved me quite a bit; even more than I first realized. It turns out that since the DD inlet and outlet fit inside a shop vac hose, an old cut one that I have is very usable also:

DustDeputy4.jpg

also note the orange cord securing it up high; the foot wasn't enough to keep it from toppling. But I just pull off the hose leading to the lathe collector and connect the hoses I got from you connected end to end and I can leave the DD right where it is and hook it to the TS, router and CMS plus I can vacuum the whole garage. That last operation requires the step down smaller hose to reach the far corners but I have no complaints.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Has anyone tried this on a floor sweep? Stanley and Lee Valley don't put dust ports on their tools, but I would like to have a trap that I can just sweep shavings, saw dust, and chips into, and they end up in a barrel.

CarvedTones

Andy
It has a 2" inlet and a 2" outlet. As long as you can get airflow through it. I think it will work. For that initial test, the sawdust was dumped on the floor and just sucked in almost as fast as it would take it, which would be very similar to a floor sweep. Do you already have the trap? I have one with a 4" fitting in my pile for the free table that you are welcome to.

CarvedTones

Andy
Another thought - knowing your preference for hand tools, I am assuming that is the type of Stanley and LV tool you are referring to. Big curly shavings are a hard problem for any vacuum. I still sweep those up or just grab hand fulls.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Thanks for the offer, I was wondering about shavings, although I do make quite bit of saw dust and chips from chiseling too. It seems like the shavings would get stuck in the 4" to 2" conversion.

I try to just empty the plane into a nearby waste can. Also maybe in a month or 2, I hope to be making whatever you call the stuff from turnings. How does it do with that?

CarvedTones

Andy
It kind of depends on what stock is being turned as to what is being produced and whether or not it will handle it. When turning green/wet wood, you can sometimes get a pile at your feet that is one long shaving and nothing designed for moving air will like that very much. Dry wood produces a lot of dust and it can do a good job on that, but I have a hard time capturing it well without it being intrusive (getting in the way; you need to have suction pretty close to the point where you are cutting). For really dry wood with obnoxious and potentially unhealthy dust, I will put up with the inconvenience of holding a small vacuum tube (for fine dust reducing to the small size is fine) right up against my roughing gouge. I also have the attachment pictured below and it works pretty well. Actually, with a strong loud vacuum it works very well, but I use a "Quiet Series" that isn't as powerful (I had a loud one, gave it away and don't regret it) and when you really are cranking on a piece it won't get all the dust if it isn't right on it.

vaclathe.JPG

The little cyclone will separate the dust just fine; this is something of a tangent.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Interesting. I'm trying to decide what to do with this. I want to be able to clean up my floor and take it easier on my back. I had thought of using buying this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Separat...318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414769481e

but with the cheaper price of the onidea, I'm tempted to go with it. As I am getting more confident in my sawing, I'm planing a lot less. I also use a scrub plane a bit more, which makes more chips than fine shavings. Since the inlet of the DD is 2", I'm temped to just try to build my own floor sweep to get the adapter out of the design.

CarvedTones

Andy
Here are my thoughts...

With shipping added to each, the one on eBay is about twice the price.
The eBay one is larger overall, has a larger hole into the waste bin and a larger outlet (though they ship with an adapter). I think larger means it could handle more bulk mixed in the air, but I am not sure.
The eBay one is metal and the DD is plastic. One nice thing about the DD is it is translucent and nearly transparent. That means that kids will get transfixed watching the swirling dust and chips and voluntarily clean the garage, at least before the novelty wears off. It also means I can see down into the bin and should be able to tell when it is nearly full.

I would go with the DD, but then I already did. :)

CatButler

New User
Bryan
OK, you twisted my arm:gar-La;. Not really, it made sense and I can use the money I save for hoses.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting. I'm trying to decide what to do with this. I want to be able to clean up my floor and take it easier on my back. I had thought of using buying this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Separat...318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414769481e

but with the cheaper price of the onidea, I'm tempted to go with it. As I am getting more confident in my sawing, I'm planing a lot less. I also use a scrub plane a bit more, which makes more chips than fine shavings. Since the inlet of the DD is 2", I'm temped to just try to build my own floor sweep to get the adapter out of the design.

If you don't want to make one, Shop Vac has 2 1/2" accessories.

I have a 2 1/2" floor sweep for my Shop Vac. I think I got it, 2 extension sections and a handle at Lowes.

Yep, here's the link:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I also have a Rockler Dust Right floor sweep system, but find the 4" floor sweep attached to my DC too unwieldy. I keep going back to the 2 1/2" sweep attached to the Shop Vac.

CarvedTones

Andy
That Lowes link shows how much Mike Shelly saved me. $20 each for the 2 hoses. They eat you alive on accessories. He also gave me a 2.5" port Big Gulp that I am probably going to give away at the picnic that is worth another $25. So that is $65 worth of Shop Vac accessories; same amount I paid for the wood. I guess it was free with the Shop Vac stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS