Dust colletion pipe

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have a dust collector with an eight inch inlet.
Everything that I have read says use the biggest pipe as far as possible for trunk lines.
I want to use eight inch PVC as far as possible.
I have had Penn State Ind. and a few North Carolina companies to draw up plans for a dust collection system.
All of them want to reduce at the collector down to 7 inch pipe.
I haven't found any seven inch PVC yet.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have been down this road before; I wish you better luck than I had finding the proper size PVC. I finally opted for metal duct work.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Look at Electrical conduit fittings you may need to modify a bit but they are readily available in 2.5 "

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I assume you are looking for either D2729 or SDR35 pipe (as you should be). I've been able to get SDR35 pipe in 8" diameter from both Ferguson Waterworks and Site One Landscaping Supply, both of whom have locations in the Southeast U.S. Tractor Supply is another resource to check. In the case of Ferguson, make sure you're contacting one of their Ferguson Waterworks offices, not their regular plumbing supply stores. Also, you may have to settle for getting gasket end pipe instead of the lesser cost (and preferable for our purposes) solvent weld hub end pipe. Don't settle for 7" pipe. Go for the 8" pipe in PVC.

And be sure that all of the pipe and fittings you get are to the same standard. For dust collection systems, this means D2729 (the thin wall Sewer & Drain pipe, typically white) and SDR35 (also known as D3034, typically green). While they have different wall thicknesses and thus different interior diameters, the outside diameters are the same and they use the same fittings.

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have a Dayton 2000 cfm 8 inch inlet and about (without going out to measure) 5 inch square or rectangle discharge.
This blower will have a 7 1/2 hp motor.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
In that case, you definitely don't want to compromise with less than 8" for your trunk lines.

sandfarm

Joe
User
Thanks, Now I feel like I can proceed slowly and get it close to right. Even though I can't seem to type "collection" right.

gmakra

New User
George
Why not just use HVAC spiral pipe?
Its cheaper in that size and almost all larger installs are done that way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS