Dust collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Jeremy that's not what I said

For some reason you left off the next sentence of my quote where I said "I don't think you actually believe that" and you are ignoring the "almost implies" part of the statement. C'mon George!

BTW did you ever any of that stuff I sent you? My guess is no.

Your guess would be wrong. I did look at the material you sent. Some of it was interesting, and as you pointed out in the e-mail, a lot of it was in "legaleeze" which makes it challenging to read and absorb. Past the point you made in the e-mail which was "there is a lot more to clean air than dust collectors" (that point came through loud and clear) the material wasn't very useful for a hobbyist wood worker and it did not answer the question of what is needed and adequate for a hobbyist woodworker. I work in the semiconductor industry. Semiconductors are manufactured in clean rooms. I'm sure protecting the workers is part of the motivation for clean rooms, but the dominant reason for clean rooms in this application is the fact that contaminants in the air will have a strong impact on the products that are being manufactured. Right away there is a big disconnect between that application and hobbyist woodworking.

So put together a DC system based on best practices, get an air cleaner if you so desire, wear a respirator but quit worrying about stuff you cant control.

I think that is a big one that many of us are guilty of. We put in a good dust collector and an air filter, we don't see dust everywhere anymore and we then start believing that we don't have to wear a respirator anymore. Much of the discussion that you seem to rage against is generally about what the best practices actually are.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I would go Sawman one more. I would add a Thien filter set up to that Harbor Fright DC. On the subject of the Harbor Fright DC. This is what I plan to do in my shop. I have quite a few WW friends who have this DC and it works well for them.

PS: I do have a secret weapon that eliminates a great deal of ambient dust in my shop. I have a basement shop with a garage door on one end and a back door on the other end. The position of my shop has an almost constant air flow through the shop. This keeps the dust moving out of the shop.

Pop

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Some very good insight guys. I really appreciate the feedback. From what I'm finding in research for my situation, It appears I should go with a 2 HP minimum with 1,100-1,500 CFM with 1 micron canister. Example, factory specs on my new saw call for 350 CFM. If I go with a 1,500 CFM DC it seems that would be more than enough. I also have a 3' attic fan in my shop. While I wouldn't rely on the fan to remove the dust, it does give great cross ventilation with the 12' garage door partially open. I will only use one machine at a time. My main objective is for the downdraft sanding table. I will also use straight 4" HVAC ducts where possible to reduce air flow restriction. The machine will be on rollers (I have the room) 30'X 40' shop, so the DC will likely be within 4' of any machine I'm on.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Good luck on your implementation, old-delta. A couple of additional things to keep in mind as you do this: 1) as you suggest in you post above, minimize the use of flex hose and keep your turns to not greater than 45 degrees because both kill air flow, 2) pay special attention to how you set up your connections and shrouds at the machine to maximize capture. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors