Dust Collector Remote Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen several posts over the previous months about remote control for dust collectors. I can't seem to find the threads. I want to remote start my dust collector. Please give me advice, refer me to the threads or recommend a brand. I have two dust collectors, both 220V Deltas, one @ 1.5 HP (two bag), the other @ 3HP (4 bag). Your help would be appreciated.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have seen some take the remote from a ceiling fan and use it however you would need to check the amp rating.

Jeff

M

McRabbet

Steve -- I would recommend the Shop Fox 220V remote control (Klingspor has them) for your smaller DC unit and a combination of a lighter amperage 110v remote switch (like this unit from Ace Hardware) with a Fasco H230B 2pole 230V Contactor Relay with 110V coil (the remote control outlet power feeds the 110V coil on the contactor). I use these last two with my 5HP Leeson motor on my ClearVue Cyclone.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I bought one of the ones Woodcraft sells when they were on sale. It was for my 1.5hp Jet 110v. I am impressed with how well it works. Always works regardless of distance or what direction it is pointed. I plan on getting one for my 3hp Delta one of these days.
Rob

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the Shop Fox remote for a 110V DC, it works great, but it's a little large. I also have the one from Ace Hardware for my shop vac, nice and small.

If you plan to carry both remotes with you while you work, you may want to use two relays, and get two of the small Ace switches. You can configure them so they operate on different signals. I have the Ace and Shop Fox remotes taped together and hanging on a key chain, it works but it's somewhat large and clumsy.

Of course, I should just rip the remotes open and combine the circuitry, but it's project #97 on the list of things to do....

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Check into what is available from www.smarthome.com . They sell control modules that communicate through the power line and also via low power radio signals. With a few modules and a multi channel pocket transmitter you can control both of your dust collectors, your lights, radio, etc. all from anywhere on your property. I started automating my home with these to control the Christmas decorations, not just the tree in the living room but also the candle in every window, the gate lights, and the yard decorations. I can control them manually or with a clock timer, and no additional wiring is necessary. Since controlling the Christmas lights worked out so well I now run my dust collector, my shop lights, my path light to the house, my living room lights, etc. all with this ststem. For even more information on this do a Google search for X-10 protocol, as it explains the method used for this type of communication and Google will bring up other sources beside Smarthome who sell these modules.

Charley

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yeah, what they said :mrgreen:
Here's a link from similar thread in 2006. Bernhard had some suggestions regarding the x-10s.

Can't believe I remembered that :rolleyes:

Roger

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Yeah, what they said :mrgreen:
Here's a link from similar thread in 2006. Bernhard had some suggestions regarding the x-10s.

Can't believe I remembered that :rolleyes:

Roger

Of course you remembered that Roger, but remember.....when the mind goes it's the short term memory that struggles:gar-La;.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Remote, remote, where is the remote. Got tired of this, so I put a current sensor in panel box. Machine cuts on, so does DC. Machine cuts off, and ten seconds later so does DC.

Thanks to all for the guidance on the remote. I bought a Long Ranger from Highland Woodworking for $75 then found it for $55 from Amazon. Called Highland and canceled the order but bought a 3/4" wood slicer for my 36" Crescent band saw so they weren't out much. Hard to believe that much difference in price. Highland also charges for shipping by the dollar amount, not weight etc. Very expensive ground UPS. Nice folks though.

bguil

New User
beeg
I have used both types of Long Ranger remotes. First shop had the portable remote switch that I carried in my apron. Only problem was bumping it on things and starting the cyclone. In the new shop, I switched to the direct wire type. I added microswitches to my blast gates which then trigger the collector when opened, all very simple. I added an LED to each gate just to remind me that the system is turned on and ready for activation, or deactivation when I leave the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors