Dust Collector recommendation

Mathoosala

New User
Matt
I know I know another DC post. I'm a single user/single tool use shop. 21'x21'. Currently I'm using a Harbor Freight with a Wynn filter. Things were great until I added a drum sander to the mix and now the filter clogs super fast. Taking it off often to clean is a pain because of the clips. I have no modifications done to the HF other than the Wynn filter. I don't really want to spend more money on modding it I'd rather just spend the money on a 2 stage that has a cyclone as part of it. I was looking at the Laguna PFlux 2 but with the current revisions it now puts it outside of my budget. I was also considering the Harvey g700 but it's expensive for not a lot of CFM (700) though it would fit nicely under a bench. Most of my stuff wants 650 which doesn't leave a lot of head room. I don't really have the desire to run ducting and so currently I run a dedicated 4" corrugated hose for the table saw and another 4" corrugated hose I run from machine to machine as needed. I live in a normal neighborhood and so just venting dust straight outside via a hole in the wall isn't an option. Any suggestions on a model/brand?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Matt,

I use the 2hp HF ducted outside in my smaller, 14x24, shop. I do not have a drum sander but it handles my table saw, CMS, router table, jointer and planner fine. My HF pulls through a super dust deputy cyclone which gets the vast majority of the debris before the air is ducted outside. My Rigid shop vac pulls through the little dust deputy and the air is filtered and returned to the shop. Adding the super dust deputy greatly reduced the filter cleaning of my shop vac. I think a Super Dust Deputy would do about the same for your Wynn filter. There are three versions of the super dust deputy, I have the one with 5 inch inlet and exit. There is also a 4 inch and a 6 inch. The 4 inch might work best if you want to stick with the hose.

Mathoosala

New User
Matt
Matt,

I use the 2hp HF ducted outside in my smaller, 14x24, shop. I do not have a drum sander but it handles my table saw, CMS, router table, jointer and planner fine. My HF pulls through a super dust deputy cyclone which gets the vast majority of the debris before the air is ducted outside. My Rigid shop vac pulls through the little dust deputy and the air is filtered and returned to the shop. Adding the super dust deputy greatly reduced the filter cleaning of my shop vac. I think a Super Dust Deputy would do about the same for your Wynn filter. There are three versions of the super dust deputy, I have the one with 5 inch inlet and exit. There is also a 4 inch and a 6 inch. The 4 inch might work best if you want to stick with the hose.
Yes, the HF worked great before the drum sander arrived. I'm leary of doing things to this current setup in case it doesn't work and then I've lost money that I could have just spent on a different system. The internet makes it hard with 50/50 posts saying it will work with a drum sander versus no it won't, you'll still have the problem.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Matt, I haven't priced DC systems for a number of years, but I have the Oneida Mini Gorilla and I have been very happy with its performance. Prior to the Mini Gorilla I had a single stage Delta with a bag filter. While there may be other systems that are cheaper, better or both...I have been very satisfied with Oneida.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS