dust collector grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonc

New User
jak
I have a 2 hp dust collector I will be assembling permanent vaccuum lines for in the next few weeks.I was going the PVC route with short flexi hose to each machine.
I have read all the studies and MIT links about grounding not being needed for a 2hp dust collector...but I am still that paranoid type that checks twice to make sure the door is locked.
So I was looking for some reassurance that it has worked in the real world without fires.Being the paranoid I am I was going to wrap the outside with a ground...just in case.But I would like to avoid all the inside grounding if I can.
Any experience in this matter is welcome and needed to help me sleep better.
thanks

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Jak, you may occasionally get a 'zap' from your machinery, but I know no one here that has had a fire due to not grounding their DC system.

M

McRabbet

I use my system lots -- I've filled ten large yard bags with sawdust and chips in the last four months -- and I've never been zapped and never had a fire -- it is all 4" PVC. There is 25' of run between my chip collector and the Dust Collector that carriers the fine saw dust and I've never had any problems. I'm going to upgrade both my DC and PVC duct to 6" later this year. Woodguy1975 has an all-PVC dust collection system, too.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Relative humidty and materials being sawn determine the ZAP FACTOR. MDF is the very worst of the bunch. As for me, I gound both inside and spiral wrap the outside of my 4" PVC. Inside wire is located on the side of pipe, not at top, nor bottom. At machines and blast gates I have a jumper wire that connects to flex pipe. What will really get you going is using shop vac to pick up MDF dust and let your ear come close to table saw-OUCH!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I am currently running a 1 1/2 HP Delta DC with approx. 28 ft. of 4" PVC as the longest run to the tablesaw. Been running for approx. 3 yrs without one zapp so far. PVC is a natural insulator anyway. I do not have any grounding at all, although I purchased the wire just for this purpose. I just never did it. So far so good.
FWW had an article on this in one of their Tools and Shops issues and the author stated in a home shop application there should be no worries.
I don't .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS